Rem 7 1/2 ?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
majcl5

Rem 7 1/2 ?

Post by majcl5 »

I just switched from cci br-4 primers to Remington 7 1/2 primers. Mainly because i could get the rem primers easier than the cci br-4 primers. I did notice that testing new loads w/ the rem 7 1/2 primers that i was getting much better accuracy w/ the cooler loads i have went down fron 27.5 grains of h4895 to 27.0 grains w/ the remington primers. Are the cci primers just hotter or is there another reason. I had a littler better accuracy w/ the cci br-4 primers but i am still @ .50 " with a 5 shoot group. I also have about 4k rounds thru my barrel.
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Rem 7 1/2 ?

Post by Wrangler John »

Some powders get on better with one primer than another. Could be the 7-1/2's having a harder cup are igniting differently than the CCI BR-4's. Primers are a mechanically initiated chemical reaction, so changing any parameter may have an effect, including manufacturer's lot number. Each manufacturer uses a slightly different proprietary priming mixture. I used tens of thousands of primers during my decade of shooting IHMSA Silhouette matches, and worked up loads based on which primer worked best. Next, which load worked best with each primer so a substitution could be made when one or the other was unavailable. Those were the days before the Internet (before the computer even :shock: ) when primers were plentiful, but sources limited to mail order catalogs and telephone ordering.

If you can, try a few of each available primer, say the Wolf Small Rifle and Small Rifle Magnum, which are plentiful right now, and work up alternatives. I just received a case of Remington 9-1/2's Large Rifle Primers because they are very good and available. The CCI BR-4 has been pulled off the market, as I understand it, because of some problem with the priming mixture. May be some time before we see it again.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Thanks for the info. I thought i heard br-4s are coming back but not sure. I may try that working up a alternitive. Thanks again
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
doobie
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by doobie »

i just bought a sleeve of the br 's . so are they bad? i went to the cci web site and went thru thier warnings and notices and there was nothing about them .
couldn't find a phone # on their web site either , maybe i missed it . there is an e-mail place but i'd rather hear a voice .
either way i would like to know if the BR 4's are bad or good . so if any one hears anything for sure please post it up , thanks ...dan
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

doobie wrote:i just bought a sleeve of the br 's . so are they bad? i went to the cci web site and went thru thier warnings and notices and there was nothing about them .
couldn't find a phone # on their web site either , maybe i missed it . there is an e-mail place but i'd rather hear a voice .
either way i would like to know if the BR 4's are bad or good . so if any one hears anything for sure please post it up , thanks ...dan
I got a couple 1000 from a very recent lot, they work fine. Maybe they had to change the priming mix and it didn't pan out in the lab, so they held them until everything is ironed out. There wasn't a recall that I noticed, so I'll use them up.