Full length vs neck sizing

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
si-snipe
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa supreme

Full length vs neck sizing

Post by si-snipe »

This is probably more of a general reloading query but I am using .204. ;)
From experience have you found that you get more accuracy from FL resizing or neck sizing?
I am new to reloading and am gaining experience as often as I can.
I would imagine that FL resizing would be more consistent as the cases are reset every time and proportions the same every time?
What do you guys in search of ultimate accuracy tend to do with multiple reloads?

Many thanks,
Si
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: Full length vs neck sizing

Post by OldTurtle »

I use Forster Benchrest dies and FL size all of my .204s....most simply because I haven't been willing to spring for a neck sizer die since I shoot my bolt action so little compared to my AR, which requires FL sizing anyway..

I don't load my rounds 'hot' and anneal my brass every so often..After five years, I've just started finding an occasional split neck..
AR
Factory/Factory
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Post by venison_burger »

SI,
I've always been told to only neck-size brass if it will be fired from the same bolt action rifle that just shot it. Like OT said, autos require full length resizing every time, so it depends on what gun you're reloading for. Neck sizing for bolt actions allows that brass which has taken the shape of your chamber to be better aligned with your rifle. I set my full length Redding die so that it decaps the primmer and only sizes about 2mm down on the neck. From what I've been told, neck sizing only needs to be done to such a degree as to keep the bullet in the case.

Just my opinion, and there are others on this forum with more experience, better equipment, and tighter groups than I...

-vb
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

venisonburg: I'd say you nailed it, bud. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Codeman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Codeman »

If you're shooting a bolt, neck size. I use the Lee Collet die. It is about the easiest die to use. Ocassionally, I get legit 1 hole 3 shot groups from my Rem 700 in 204 (which is pretty much stock).
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

si-snipe: I should have mentioned that I also shoot a number of single shot falling block varmint rifles. In these guns, it's best to F/L size, as they do not have the ejection camming power that a bolt gun provides, and you don't want to either get a stuck case or a broken extractor on a tight case that had only been neck sized.

RCBS did a lab test years ago using F/L vs. neck sizing for hunting calibers. They could not find any difference in accuracy in factory barrels. But I'm also of the notion that for bolt guns, it's best to neck size only for best accuracy in varmint rifles until you need to either F/L or use a body die to bump the shoulder a 'thou or two. HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Codeman

Post by Codeman »

I too have a Ruger #1 (22-250). With factory loads, it shot terrible (2" groups were the norm). I floated the barrel. That stopped the group stringer but still didnt shoot great groups with factory ammo (V-maxes). I started reloading and only neck sized...........bingo. The gun is a tack driver now. I hardly believe the study done that says FL sizing ammo is as accurate as neck sized ammo. I guess chamber size may have something to do with it. The chamber on my #1 "feels" big when I load a factory round (you can really get up close and personal with the chamber of a #1). Maybe the year of manufactuer has something to do with it..............mine was made in '76. Looks brand new though.
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

I forgot to say one more thing. You are right, you can only neck size ~2-3 times with the #1 before having to FL size.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Codeman wrote: I hardly believe the study done that says FL sizing ammo is as accurate as neck sized ammo.
I had a hard time with that one too, but remember the test was for "hunting calibers", and to me, that means 'deer' calibers. Also remember this was done with only factory chambers.

We all know (or think we do), that in general, neck sizing will produce the best accuracy if fired in the same chamber.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

It depends on the rifle;you have to try it out of your rifle.I have a savage 12FV.204 ruger 26" heavy barrel.i ..have a lee collet set and a RCBS neck sizer in .204.The most accurate are loaded on RCBS competition dies .All full length resized.I have tried lee neck,rcbs neck {x2}sizeing;then used competition seater,lee seater.even tried competition full length sizeing ,then lee seater.nothing compares to competion .dies.Best group <.058 >hornady case,1.840,wsr primer,28.0 varget,40 v-max 2.260 oal., .062 on RCBS precision mic .varget 204