How short is too short?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

How short is too short?

Post by chuckhunter »

I have a case lenght trimmer that I've been trimming my cases with. But, with me being new to reloading I got a little happy with it and trimmed some of my cases down to 1.835 is this too short to use??? Should I load them and use them as foulers or just toss them.. Thanks in advance all replies..........
skb2706

Re: How short is too short?

Post by skb2706 »

No problem, use them. I sometimes intentionally cut mine to 1.835. Seems I always find one short one in a batch so I trim to that length to clean them up. After a couple of firings they will be right out there.

FYI - your case trimmer should have some type of stop so that no matter how "happy" you get with it you could never cut them short of where you set it.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I purchased some Nosler brass and they are all in the 1.835" length category. I'd rather have them at 1.840", but Nosler won't go for that. I guess when you manufacture hundreds of thousands and maybe millions of .204 Ruger casings, you can make a bunch more by making them all 1.835" long instead of 1.840" long :wink: :wink:

The length of many of the WW casings in the first batch of WW casings I bought were 1.835". I trimmed all of those casings to 1.835". It sure didn't seem to have and adverse effects that I could tell. Go ahead and use them.

[Edited for spelling errors.]
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

I did tighten the set screw on the stop but it must have loosened up.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

1.8275" for me, screwed up a mess of 'em before I realized that I messed up my home-fabricated Lee gauge/trimmer.

I don't have much of an accuracy round yet however, perhaps I ruined my life by doing that. Time will tell I guess as I work on the load....