annealing .204 brass

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

annealing .204 brass

Post by varget204 »

has anybody annealed any 204 case necks;if so, did it help accuracy.i have some cases that have been reloaded 20-30 times;have never annealed a case neck.would like to know if its worth the time.varget204 :?: :?:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: annealing .204 brass

Post by Rick in Oregon »

It is if you plan to continue to shoot that brass. I anneal after seven firings or whenever I see a split neck in a lot. It won't have much of an effect on accuracy unless your brass is very work-hardened and it's effecting bullet release, which yours could very well be by the number of firings indicated.

Coincidently, today while neck sizing a bunch of 17 Mach IV brass (17 Fireball), some split necks were detected, so they'll get annealed before any further loading. They had been shot exactly 7 times. Considering all the work we put into our brass, I want to keep it around for as long as possible.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Rick, are you using one of the annealing machines, or by hand? I've been reading about some of the units available, but the price has me holding back. I hate to admit it, but as much as I have reloaded, I've never annealed a case. My .204 brass hasn't been shot but a couple of times, but I would like to extend the life, if possible. I don't have any brass that has been loaded as much as varget204, but I would also appreciate any suggestions as to your annealing procedure.
ImageImage
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Keith: For just over ten years now, I've been using one of Kindler's Series II Annealing Tips for my Benzo-Matic torch with perfect results.

The cases I mentioned above were procured in a trade when they were fired 3 times, I annealed them when I got them, but they had been formed and shot without annealing, so are not lasting as long as they should have had they been annealed after forming from 221 Fireball brass. Most of the 221 FB brass I've formed to 17M4 ten years ago is still going strong.

I've never lost a single case after being annealed with this tip when the brass is new and freshly formed.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Rick, are you using the water in the pan, and tip over method? And do you size before annealing, or the reverse? Hate to show my ignorance! Varget, hope you don't mind me asking more questions to your thread.......I'm in the dark. I need all the help I can get!
ImageImage
Clover_Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR100

Post by Clover_Shooter »

RIO....Thanks for the tip on the Kindler's Series II Annealing Tip. I was ready to purchase a regular ol tip. What makes this tip special. Whats the next closest thing. I already have the temp. sticks. do you use them or just go by color! Thanks
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I've been using Ricks method for a few months now and recouped several hundred by doing so. I was scrapping (but saving) whole lots of 100 when I got one split neck. My WW brass usually split after about 7 reloads when fired. They now neck size with ease. Never did any accuracy test on annealed 204 brass, I use them for off-hand matches and hunting. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be as accurate as new with proper care in process. Now for precision annealing where uniform hardness is the goal. One of them fancy automatic do-hickeys probably can't be beat!! One's in my future that's for sure! They look like nice toys.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yep, using a pie pan, 1/2" of water, standing cases w/o primer in the water 30 or so at a time, use the circular flame tip of the Kindler tip, use a slow ten count to play the flames over the neck/shoulder, then use the tip to tip over and quench in the water. Simple, no sticks, no fuss, no lost cases, has worked for many years on old cases and freshly formed wildcats.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

gdc

Post by gdc »

annealing for any of my brass is thus : I have a hornady ann. kit #41220 . I only use the shell holder for the appropriate cal. in my lil rechargeable drill. i set pan with water on the floor, above that my propane torch (about 1/2flame). I put the brass in the case holder spin the drill over the flame. with the lights out, or on in the other room, you stop at first sign of faint red and dump the annealed case in the water. takes bout 5 seconds / case and I've done it on everything from my .17 rem-7mm. years of longivity out of the brass. Thanks for the forum, great stuff shows up. Potpouri for the .204 in my life is BR-4,exterminator (ramshot) powder,and any lead ya want and my savage VLP loves it. Prairie dogs and coyotes hate it !! Several thousand p.d.s a yr. and several called coyotes /yr.. jc
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Poor mans annealing method.......I take my Sinclair primer pocker uniformer and chuck it in my battery operated drill. Set my propane torch on its small end with the flame set at the proper length and slip a deprimed case over the pocket uniformer; start the drill slowly and hold the spinning case neck in the flame, when it starts to turn a slight red (6-8 seconds) I tip the case over (it will fall off) into a waiting bucket of water. Its really fast and you can do a couple hundred in no time at all. No standing cases in a pan of water, just slip them on the primer pocket uniformer and do it. BTW dont forget to make sure they are dry before loading. :idea:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters