o.a.l too long

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
shack075
.204 Ruger Guns: savage modle 10 predator hunter and encore pro hunter pistol

o.a.l too long

Post by shack075 »

I just started reloading I bought RCBS FL dies. I set them up by screwing them down to the case mouth then backing them off one full turn. The seating plug was screwed all the way down and the shortest it would go was 2.96 and the recomened length is 2.45. Does any one have any suggestions as to what to do.
Joker
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-Bolt

Re: o.a.l too long

Post by Joker »

Your Sizer die and Seater are to be set different ways. Read the instructions that came with the die and it should explain it well. Did you have a bullet in the case or did you screw the seater die down to the empty case mouth?
Varmintcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 15001vosv

Post by Varmintcaller »

If you are talking about your seating die, raise the ram to its highest point, turn in the seating die untill the crimper contacts the mouth of the case and back it off 1/4 turn, just enough to negate the crimper (assuming you dont want to crimp the bullets).And lock the die in place When you do this make sure the seating plug is backed out far enough not to interfere. Then insert a bullet in the case and screw the seating plug in untill the proper COL is reached. Do this After the sizeing die has been adjusted and the mouth of the case has been properely sized.

You state that you set "them" up by screwing "them" down to the case mouth.....Are you trying to adjust the full length size die the same way? If so, I suggest you re-read the instructions that came with the dies, and get a good reloading manual and study it thoroughly. I am of course assuming that you have never re-loaded before and no insult by me is intended.
shack075

Post by shack075 »

I used only a case when i tryed setting up my seating die. It was my second time reloading but first time for my 204 I didnt have any trouble setting up my other rifel dies the 204 seater plug is a lil different.
The instructions said to put a case in theshell holder and run it to the top of the press stroke. Then screw the seater die into the press until u feel it touch the moouth of the case then back the die up one full turn and set the locking nut. Then I started adjusting the seating plug down and measuring a little bit at a time. I ran the seater plug all the way in and the o.a.l was still too long.
Varmintcaller

Post by Varmintcaller »

What make of bullet was in the case when you started adjusting the seater plug ? You should have enough adjusment in your seating plug to push the bullet all the way into the case. You might want to call RCBS and talk to one of their reps, you may have gotten a short seater stem. RCBS has a fantastic customer service dept and will help you in any way they can.
shack075

Post by shack075 »

I was using a 40 grain v-max bullet. I'm not sure if ur fimilar with the seater plug on the 204 but when you back the lock nut all the way out then screw the seater plug all the way in their is still threads showing on the seater plug. Its like it bottoms out and appears to have thread left and this is with no case in the press. When u unscrew the seater plug out and look in the die body it seems like the threads in the die body stop a little bit to soon. I went to the store where i bought them and their other RCBS 204 dies were the same way. I asked a salesman their and he coulnt explain it either. I called RCBS and they said i needed to back the die body out of the press a little more that the case was hitting the crimping ring which didnt make much sense to me. It was like saying less is more. I have been going to a buddys to reload using his press so i will have to wait till i go there and see if any of this works. I appreiate your advice and help. I'm also planning on getting a modified case and checking the o.a.l for my rifle maybe i woulnt need it that short but would still like to know i can make it that short if need.
Varmintcaller

Post by Varmintcaller »

Im sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. I havent used RCBS dies for many years now, I use Hornady dies. I like the floating sleeve in the seater die. If you cant make your die work, you might order a seater die from Hornady, its pretty much error free.

If you backed out your die a full turn after the crimper contacted the case mouth, I dont see how backing it out further would give you more seating distance. Let me know what happens when you give it another try.
shack075

Post by shack075 »

Thanks for the advise I will let you know when i figure something out.
scott_r
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 LVSF

Post by scott_r »

Why not just screw the die down a small amount to make up for the die?