powder keg

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

powder keg

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Has anybody seen the "Made in USA Lockable Powder Storage Container" Cabela's sells in person??. At $289 a small fire resistant gun safe might be a better option? It might be twice the cost but you'll have more than twice the room.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: powder keg

Post by Wrangler John »

I bought one, with the casters. It is a lockable storage magazine that meets federal storage requirements for indoor magazines. There are two locks with different keys for security. the purpose of the magazine is security. It only offers fire resistence by being metal, so a spark falling on it will not ignite the powder. Additional security is from being inside a lockable room, which it is in my case. In the event of a fire it will open without building pressure and become a bomb. Never store powder or primers in a safe - KABOOM! It works well to keep kid and dingbats away from your powder, which is where most accidents happen. In a real house fire, it's going to be exciting for a minute. Main thing is that having one gives you the ability to say that your powder was/is stored in an approved indoor magazine - it comes with a copy of the BATF acceptance language.

It will hold 50 pounds of powder, but here in California the limit is 20 pounds without a special permit, so one needs to control inventory,or face misdemeanor/felony charges.

If you want to check out real professional magazines for everything from blasting charges to rocket motors, ammunition and powder check out http://www.usexplosivestorage.com bring your stimulus package money. They have smaller magazines similar to a Knaack Box with insulation.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Wrangler John wrote:It will hold 50 pounds of powder, but here in California the limit is 20 pounds without a special permit, so one needs to control inventory,or face misdemeanor/felony charges.
wrangler john, my question to you is "why would you tell anyone that you have more than 20 lbs. of powder in your house?"

to me, that is like gun registration, it give everyone who is interested, the knowledge of how many guns you have in your house. at this point in time, we do not have to register any powder that we buy, although it may come to that!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I think Wrangler John is quoting the add in Cabelas.They say it will hold 50 1lb cans of powder. Not sure about the plastic bottles though.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Yeah, it holds 50 pounds of powder, but the limit in California is 20 pounds without a permit. That means I limit my powder stock to 20 pounds in a magazine with a 50 pound capacity. A bit like filling your gas tank half full. I just limit myself to a few select powders after working up a load, trying to use powders that work in more than one rifle or handgun. I really wish somebody would bring back Hodgdon's idea of 1/4 pound canisters for load development.

There is no limit in California on loaded ammunition however, so you can store as much powder in loaded cartridges as you have $ for. :D