Any Recent News about N135?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
MuleyTime
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Any Recent News about N135?

Post by MuleyTime »

Just curious if anyone has recently tried a load with VV N135....In particular, with the 35 Bergers.......??

I have seen a couple of places that have had a few pounds on the shelf and tempting me to to try it.....

Thanks!
jo191145

Re: Any Recent News about N135?

Post by jo191145 »

Muley

I did a lot of work with Viht powders. Mostly 135. Shot some of the tightest groups ever with it.
I won't recommend it in a long throated factory gun.
What it boils down to is the same thing Benchresters have learned before me.
Viht requires heavy neck tension and a hard jam into the lands to work properly. It also likes charge weights that defy sanity.

If you feel you really must, try N-140. I've had my best luck with that but with 40gn bullets.
If you find some early magic with it and suddenly it all go's south don't wear out your barrel trying to figure it out. Been there done that.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
MuleyTime

Post by MuleyTime »

Wow. Now that's some serious detail. Thanks!

I was thinking about loading it in my Cooper Phoenix, as I can get to the lands with that rifle. I also have the Redding Type S Bushing dies, and I could get the neck tension right. But the insane charge weight requirement will keep me going with Benchmark and H4895. I don't know why, but no matter how well a current load combination is doing, the temptation is always there to try something completely new. :shock:

Thanks Jo91145 - you saved me from burning another $21.......
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I suffer/enjoy the same affliction. Always gotta try something different.

Now Muley, If you can comfortably reach the lands in that Cooper (204?) my recommendation might change. I tend to think in terms of the REAL long throats like one finds in Sav's and Remy's.

Once your jammed charge weights should come down.

I just started load development on a McGowen 11 twist. Not a short throated match chamber but not overly lawyered up either. Good chance it roughly compares with your Cooper.

Shot an Audette while fireforming Win brass. Used the 40 V-Max .012 jammed and N-140. Found the node was shooting .5moa at 100 and 200yds with BR-4's so I started a primer test. CCI-450's won with a .255 @ 100yds.
Not bad considering I was still fireforming brass and have'nt even messed with the seating depth yet.
Its been too cold to go back out and my chrono is dead.
I have another Audette loaded up to start over with formed brass. I want to see if the node has changed and I'm waiting on weather and a chrono.

With my Savage,40 Bergs and 140 the node is so high its unusable. Extremely accurate but the pressures are catastrophic.

In your Coopers case you called it right. N135= 35 Bergs N-140 = 40gner's

Considering all the trouble I had in my Sav I still cannot endorse it. I'd feel better if my McGowen barrel will consistently agg in the .25moa range but I no longer jump up and down with the results of one five shot group. :lol: Maybe in the future.

Want some old info on Savs and Viht? Do a search on this forum for "Viht curse".
That should work.
The big problem is neck exspansion.

MuleyTime

Post by MuleyTime »

Unless there is something I'm not thinking about, I feel I can get to the lands on this Cooper. Which by the way is a.204 and I just got it last Friday.....

I used the stoney point OAL gauge to find the lands and found them to be right at 2.380". Couldnt get the Base to Ogive measurment as I haven't got a .20 comparitor insert yet.

2.380" sounds short (but I checked it several times) compared to my Savage Predator...I think the predator was something like 2.43 or something close....
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Muley

I checked the DTL in my McGowen barrel with the 35 Berger. COL of 2.355.
I used the 35 because thats the pill you expressed interest in and assume its the one you used to check your chamber.

In my opinion both my and your chambers are minimal for jamming the 35's. Sure it can be done but I like more bullet in the brass.
Too little bullet in the brass and some pills may get pushed into the case while others may jam more.

Now if you want to try the 39bk or 40 Hornady/Nosler you'd be better off.

MuleyTime

Post by MuleyTime »

Yes, my measurements were with the 35 gr Berger......

UPDATE: I just inherited 500 39 grain James Calhoon bullets which will be interesting to try as well. The DTL with those are COAL = 2.325.
On the James Calhoon website he has a pretty impressive 5 shot group using the 39 grain bullet and 27.5 grains of AA2520. Have you tried any of that powder?

Yeah, after pushing the bullets into the lands with the stoney point guage, and then looking at how much bullet was left in the case, kind of worries me, but I'll give 'em a try right to the lands anyway....

I had a terrible experience with the 39 grain SBK in my Savage (they tumbled), and I don't have enough confidence in them to try them in my Cooper (even though they would probably work). My main purpose of load testing is to find an accurate load that will not only be good for targets but also coyotes, and I feel the Berger and now maybe the Calhoon are the best choices.