Time to Think Reloading?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
MDHogHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model Seven

Time to Think Reloading?

Post by MDHogHunter »

Folks,
I've tried just about everything factory ammo has to offer.

32gr. Hornady VMax
40gr. Hornady VMax
32gr. Remington Accu-Tip
34gr. Winchester
39gr. Federal BK

None are what I would call great. Had some ok groups with the Federal today, but still getting 1.5-2" groups.

The gun is a Remington Model 7. Just upgraded my optics to a VX-II in 6-18x

Here's my question. Do I try the HSM 32gr + 39 gr BK's? Or should I skip that step and get into the reloading?

If I were to reload? Anyone ever dealt with a Model 7? If so, what was the secret recipe?

Many thanks friends. Still have plenty of time to decide and do some work at the range before the groundhogs start popping back out!

-Sam
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Re: Time to Think Reloading?

Post by Bunnybuster »

Have you done any tuning on the rifle yet? I'm asking because I would have expected you to be able to get a decent group with one of the factory loadings.

As to your groups: are they just scattered, (this can be a sign of easy to fix things like a loose stock to action fit, or grungy barrel); or do they seem to wander in a particular direction as the barrel heats up, (a sign that the barrel is getting point pressure on it that changes as the barrel heats up)? Are the groups spreading out as the barrel heats up?
MDHogHunter

Post by MDHogHunter »

Bunnybuster wrote:Have you done any tuning on the rifle yet? I'm asking because I would have expected you to be able to get a decent group with one of the factory loadings.

As to your groups: are they just scattered, (this can be a sign of easy to fix things like a loose stock to action fit, or grungy barrel); or do they seem to wander in a particular direction as the barrel heats up, (a sign that the barrel is getting point pressure on it that changes as the barrel heats up)? Are the groups spreading out as the barrel heats up?

Thanks for the reply.

No real odd finding on patterns, just nothing real tight. Never noticed any opening groups as the barrel heated up either. I have reached 1" out of the Federals before, but in today's wind we didn't see it. Whether the wind, or just not constant shooting.

The rifle is all factory except for a trigger job, which was a HUGE help. Factory trigger was around 6lbs!

Everything is tight, and I'm pretty particular about cleaning this rifle. It's my baby!

I think every rifle has that perfect load, and I just haven't found it yet.
Clover_Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR100

Post by Clover_Shooter »

Try some 35 or 40 grain Berger Bullets.
skunkriver

Post by skunkriver »

Here's a quote from one of the most respected members of the forum:...
"One thing for sure, if/when you handload, and tune the ammunition to your rifle, you'll realize an immediate gain in accuracy, which enables you to hit small targets at long range...much farther than with the same rifle using factory ammunition."

I suggest you get started reloading ASAP and you'll never look back.
Make good decisions!!!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

For superb accuracy reloading is needed.
Still I would be concerned about the rifle if no factory ammo was approaching .5 moa.
JMO but a decent factory rifle in 204 should at least put four out of five into .5moa with some sort of factory ammo. If it scatters them all over you have a problem.
With Savage tubes that problem would be copper.

I "fix" all my Savage barrels before ever firing them with one method or the other.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

skunkriver wrote:Here's a quote from one of the most respected members of the forum:...
"One thing for sure, if/when you handload, and tune the ammunition to your rifle, you'll realize an immediate gain in accuracy, which enables you to hit small targets at long range...much farther than with the same rifle using factory ammunition."

I suggest you get started reloading ASAP and you'll never look back.
:banana: I too second that..
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I can't speak to the Model 7, but I did like you when I first got my Savage and bought what limited number of factory offerings were available to see what it preferred... It told me very quickly that it liked the heavier bullets, but not the 40gr Bergers that were being loaded through HSM...

It was shooting nice tight groups with the Hornady 40gr V-Max and Remington 39gr SBKs that were out at the time.. It positively refused the lighter Winchester 34gr and lower weight bullets.

Due to the limited offerings, I started reloading and have never been sorry... I still use the 39gr SBKs, but found a great powder weight that allows excellent groups, as long as I don't heat up the lightweight barrel.

Plus, the cost of factory .204s has jumped dramatically lately over what I originally paid....so my cost savings is another reason for reloading...

I don't know how fast you were shooting your 7, but barrel heat will cause some serious point of impact displacement on the lighter weight barrels. Barrel heat is the reason I just finished a sloppy 3rd as I was in a 'rushed' position in getting my targets finished on the last day...
AR
Factory/Factory
MDHogHunter

Post by MDHogHunter »

Thought I would give everyone a little update:

Well, dove right in and got to reloading! A friend has all the necessary tools, and has been a great help. I'm learning a ton!

We had unfortunate luck on our first attempt with the Lee Die. It was sloppy, not smooth, and really messed up 4 bullets in the first 20 or so that we loaded. Seated the bullets WAY to deep, and not even centered.

So, we switched to the Redding Competition Die, and it was smooth as silk tonight.

We are still using the Lee Collet Neck Sizer, and with good results. Brass was Hornady that we did a quick chamfer and deburr.

We did a lot of research between the two of us, and thought we would start with the 35gr. Berger. Also ordered the 39gr Sierra BK's, and the 32gr Berger.

Using H-4895 powder, Rem 7 1/2 BR primers, we started with a load of 27.2,27.5,27.8, and 28gr. So we are at 40 or so ready to shoot. Hoping to get some range time in this weekend.

Another 50 cases were cleaned, neck sized, primed, and ready to powder up and load for next time.

Thanks for all of the help! Will post replies with range results.

-Sam
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Sam, Welcome to the 'addiction'.. :) .. Since you are loading in .3gr increments, watch your groups and keep records as to the outcomes... Your 'really good' groups may be in one of those 'in between' charges as .1gr can make a big difference, especially in the .204, but you're on the right track...

The only thing I can think of with the Lee seating die was that it just wasn't adjusted right, and then it could have been a bad one by itself... I use both Lee and Forster and can tell a small difference in the quality during the seating process..but they both turn out "acceptable" levels of rounds. The Forster Benchrest just seems to be a little more precise..

One hint, to save future problems, would be to get a fine tip Sharpie and log your load on the cartridge, or at least a number that corresponds with your load documentation..... When I first started, I arrived at the range (45 miles away) to test some loads and while unpacking everything, accidentally knocked a box of test loads off the bench and scattered them every where.... After picking them up, I had no idea what charge weight was in what cartridge...and it was a wasted trip for the purposes I intended.... :wall:

Now, I keep a list of the loads in a small notebook with a corresponding number of the charge on each test cartridge for later reference...The ink usually comes off easily in the next cleaning process and any that might be left wipes off easily with an alcohol wipe...
AR
Factory/Factory