Case trimmers

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Case trimmers

Post by Gube »

I am at the point where I have to start "trimming" my brass. I've checked a bit on the internet, but am unsure as what to get. I looked at the RCBS at wholesale but from I can see you can't do the 20 cal with it. I would prefer an electric as I have about 2000 + pieces to do. I would need it for my 204, 270 win, and recently purchased a Tikka light in 243. I also checked out the Giraud Power Case Trimmer. Seems like a nice unit, fairly pricey for one caliber, and quite a bit of an extra cost to do other calibers. I know some guys have been using the Lyman, powered with a drill. Not sure if this would be as accurate as the others. SINCLAIR trimmer is another one and can be used with a power screw driver to turn the cutter.
The unit has a micrometer (sold as an accessory) for measuring the amount of trim you want taken off.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Case trimmers

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Back in the early 70's, I went with Forester. Been using the same one ever since, and love the versatility it offers; trim cases from .45 to .17, outside neck turn, ream, and hollow point revolver bullets among others.

There are many good ones out there, but I've never needed to replace the tried and true Forester in all these years. You can spend more, but I'm not sure if you get more. They also offer a power accessory for use with power screwdrivers. The unit is dead-nuts accurate.

Mine set up for outside neck turning:

Closer view: (sorry about the poor macro quality of the pics - old camera)

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

I've got one of the Hornady units. Mostly because I could get the 17, and 20 cal pilots for it.

There is an adapter to hook it up to a drill, and a set of deburring/chamfering cutters avialable.

I like it better than the RCBS unit my Brother and the buddy I used to reload with have.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I had been going over the same question the past few months, I plan to upgrade my reloading equipment and a trimmer was high on the list.

I just put in a order for a Forester from Russel Sports here in Calgary, they had the pilots required for .20 cal. I also plan to begin neck turning and the Forester offers that attachment, plus the price was better than any other product they have.

Like Rick mentioned the versatility that the Forster system offers appealed to me, so thats why I went with it.

I never really looked into the power options but it seems that it has an option for that as well.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I have owned several brands. First was a Forester...and the last six are Forester (yes, I have seven now - more on that later).

The Sinclair Ultimate is good, no doubt, but a little pricey.

The Giraud or Gracey are also good, but way pricey.

Have tried the Hornady (MUST use their shell holders - inside hole is larger), RCBS - I like the older style with the collets, but the newer style with plates is quicker. The newer RCBS are not the same quality as the older ones though.

Lyman - ok, not bad, but not great...kind of klunky.

With the Forester, ALL of the accessories are 20-40% less than the others....and it will also neck turn brass as well.

Now...why do I have seven? Because I came across a screaming deal on the net. So, I leave them set up caliber specifice.

For you, check on Kinneman's website for a product made by "Possum Hollow" (no kidding on the brand name).

http://www.kinneman.com/notefromdan.html

307.455.2436 kinneman@kinneman.com

This case trimmer from Possum Hollow indexes on the shoulder of the case and trims the brass. Chuck it in a cordless drill (or a drill that you can set the trigger speed on)...and start trimming cases. Fairly accurate...it will get you in the ball park.
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

I have the Sinclair, and couldn't be happier. Wore out the Forster.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Forster's here, too. dbt base with sinclair primer pocket uniformer, one neck trim lathe, one length trim lathe.

I've since sprung for power adapters. A cordless milwaukee screwdriver works great......

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

LeeC wrote:I have the Sinclair, and couldn't be happier. Wore out the Forster.
Interesting. I apply a drop of synthetic oil on the hard chrome shaft and the coated bushing.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I never did look at the Forester. I like the idea that I can neck turn with the unit as well. With the "hand crank" jobs, how many pieces of brass can you do before the hands and fingers get "fatigued"?
Savage Vaporizer
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

I did 300 cases for the 204 in one setting a few weekends back.
Cujo
.204 Ruger Guns: LRPV w/ Nightforce 5.5-22 X 56 NPR-2

Post by Cujo »

I find the Forster just a tad slow for trimming a "ton" of cases. It is really accurate and good stuff. The only thing with the Gracey trimmer that I use now is the blade setup for caliber changes. It's just a bit tedious for me. I hardly use the tool, but when I do, it's used, "big time." For my personal use, I just can't justify the cost of a Giraud. When looking at he cost/benefit ratio, the Forster is hard to beat. Regards from Vegas.
Jersey Hunter

Post by Jersey Hunter »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Back in the early 70's, I went with Forester. Been using the same one ever since, and love the versatility it offers; trim cases from .45 to .17, outside neck turn, ream, and hollow point revolver bullets among others.

There are many good ones out there, but I've never needed to replace the tried and true Forester in all these years. You can spend more, but I'm not sure if you get more. They also offer a power accessory for use with power screwdrivers. The unit is dead-nuts accurate.

Don't want to hi
Rick in Oregon wrote:Back in the early 70's, I went with Forester. Been using the same one ever since, and love the versatility it offers; trim cases from .45 to .17, outside neck turn, ream, and hollow point revolver bullets among others.

Don't want to hijack post, I would like to ask how much of the outside neck turning attachment has to be removed before you can go back to length trimming
Barry
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

All of it. One allen screw, and slip it all off...... But if a guy has a problem with resetting everything, do like I did. Buy an extra, and mount the neck turner on it. E'bay can be your friend.....Don
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I like the Wilson. Check it out at Sinclair.com.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I have a Forster. I keep it just for neck turning.
For trimming I use a Hornady. Its faster than a collet style trimmer (Forster, RCBS etc.) and much more accurate. In reality getting every piece of brass exactly the same length is not required unless you want to roll crimp.
Never tried a Wilson. Just by the description they sound awful slow to use but I could be wrong.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .