Need help with Redding Die

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Rangersd
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 15

Need help with Redding Die

Post by Rangersd »

Need some help with Redding dies. We have a Dillon Xl 650 and Redding type A dies for the 204. We are having trouble with the seating die hitting the shell plate before it has a chance to crimp.
jo191145

Re: Need help with Redding Die

Post by jo191145 »

What is the length of your brass?

Are you attempting a roll crimp for an auto loader? If not forget the crimp and move on.

The only other options are to stone off the top of the shellholder until you remove enough to crimp.
You could stone off the bottom of the die also.
Wether you choose to stone the die or shellholder both must be measured to be square after the cut.
Longer brass would be the easiest perhaps. That depends on your present trim length.

Roll crimping a non cannelured bullet can be done. Its touchy, especially using Bergers which have the toughest composistion.
All brass should be trimmed to a consistent length otherwise accuracy will suffer.
Check the shoulders frequently for bulge. Too much crimping pressure and they will no longer chamber.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by ulen mn »

I am new to handloading and still learning the ins and outs but dont you just neck size for the 204 no crimping involved???
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
Rangersd

Post by Rangersd »

The brass I'm working with now is new winchester length is 184.5 for the most part. Yes this a auto loader.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

By the way Rangersd, forgive my prior rudeness and welcome to the forum.

Maybe for now it'd just be best to seat deep and hope the neck tension is enough to maintain seating depth.
Make sure any sizing lube has been removed.

You could always measure the first round inserted in the mag. Stuff in the remaining and fire em up except for the last one which you measured. Pull it out and measure it. If the col has'nt changed so far so good.
Cycle that round through the action a few times and remeasure. This should tell you if crimping is nescessary. For the time being anyway. Brass hardens with use which lessens neck tension.

I do not load for an auto. Hopefully some of our fast cycle friends will come along with some advice.

I'm not kidding when I say that consistent accuracy with roll crimped loads can be a cast iron b***h to maintain.
I would do my best to avoid it if possible. Good Luck

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rangersd

Post by Rangersd »

Thanks Jo for the help.

We will load some up and give it a go. What a great sight
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I second jo191145's advice. Ditch the crimping operation if possible.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em