Another RE-10x question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Another RE-10x question

Post by greystone »

I just picked up some Reloader 10x today but I'm having some trouble finding any published load data for the 204. Doing an internet search yields a few loads but nothing comprehensive. Alliants web site doesn't even include the 204. Does anyone else furnish data for this powder? My primary bullets are 35 Bergers, Dogtowns and 39 BK's. Thanks. Dave
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Another RE-10x question

Post by glenn asher »

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data_sierra.php

Just check the sticky at the top of the page, we have it all, more or less :lol: You might have to do some extrapolations to get data for the 35s, and 34s, but hey, that's part of it, right?
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I use RE-10X as an almost universal powder in my son's XR-100. I like having one powder that performs so well with such a wide variety of bullets. I just took the published data I could find and then did a little math to come up with the charges in between. I have been using these for a long time now.

32 gr. Sierra BK - 26.0 gr.
35 gr. Berger FB - 25.5 gr.
39 gr. Sierra BK - 25.1 gr
40 gr. Berger BT - 25.1 gr.
45 gr. Hornady SP - 24.5 gr.

Of course you will want to back off 10% and work these loads up as any safe hand loader would. I always work my loads up in .2 gr increments because this little case builds pressure pretty quickly.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

greystone--If the Reloder 10X doesn't pan out for you, I'd suggest trying some H4895. Even Benchmark and H322 worked pretty good in my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger. I hope you find the magic load before you wear out your barrel looking for it!!!

Since I purchased my .204 Ruger in early June of 2004, I have shot 1,099 shots at paper and 1,229 shots at live targets. My early problems with shooting so many shots at paper was that I didn't have any reloading data for the .204 Ruger when I first got it. I did some extrapolation off of some 20 Tactical reloading data I had found. I was pretty lucky because I got by with shooting some fairly dangerous loads with no loss of sight, hearing, or limbs!!! Then too, I have tried almost every bullet manufactured from the 32 grainers on up to the 40 grainers. Right now, the bullets I use are the 35 gr. FB HP Berger, 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing and the 40 gr. Nosler BT., but mostly the latter two. The 35 gr. Berger is a pretty fur friendly bullet on coyotes, but I have also had very good luck using the 39 gr. Sierra on coyotes too.

I hope you find a good load SOON!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Silverfox wrote:greystone--If the Reloder 10X doesn't pan out for you, I'd suggest trying some H4895. Even Benchmark and H322 worked pretty good in my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger. I hope you find the magic load before you wear out your barrel looking for it!!!

Since I purchased my .204 Ruger in early June of 2004, I have shot 1,099 shots at paper and 1,229 shots at live targets. My early problems with shooting so many shots at paper was that I didn't have any reloading data for the .204 Ruger when I first got it. I did some extrapolation off of some 20 Tactical reloading data I had found. I was pretty lucky because I got by with shooting some fairly dangerous loads with no loss of sight, hearing, or limbs!!! Then too, I have tried almost every bullet manufactured from the 32 grainers on up to the 40 grainers. Right now, the bullets I use are the 35 gr. FB HP Berger, 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing and the 40 gr. Nosler BT., but mostly the latter two. The 35 gr. Berger is a pretty fur friendly bullet on coyotes, but I have also had very good luck using the 39 gr. Sierra on coyotes too.

I hope you find a good load SOON!!!
Thanks to everyone that responded. I see that a number of people on this forum speak highly of 10x so I thought I'd give it a try. And at 17 bucks a pound yesterday I couldn't pass it up. I've sent an email to Alliant requesting 204 data if they had any. Might get something from them.
Silverfox-Glad to see that you're still walking, talking, and seeing :D. Survival is always better than the alternative. I've had some good loads. So far I've used IMR 4895 and H322. My best group was with 322. 4 almost in one hole and the 5th was a little flier. My accuracy did fall off toward the end of the summer. I think it was due to copper fouling. It took a lot of work with Butch's before I started to get clean patches. Haven't punched paper since. I'm in Minnesota and its to cold to sit at the range. Thanks. Dave