Neck Lubricator?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
woodchuck

Neck Lubricator?

Post by woodchuck »

Will the Frankford Aresenal Neck Lubricator work for the .204?
jo191145

Re: Neck Lubricator?

Post by jo191145 »

If your talking of the blue colored dry lube box with assorted brushes Yes it will. Buy some Imperial dry graphite with it though. Throw the bag of white mica that comes with the Frankford kit in the trash and save yourself some headaches.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube. They sell a little bottle of ceramic beads, that are used with the lube as a carrier.

When I bought my neck lube, Midway was out of the ceramic beads, so I tried putting a couple of tablespoons of nut shell tumbler media, (without the grit added), in a pill bottle, and adding about a teaspoon of the neck lube and shaking them up to mix them together.

The media/neck lube combo works as well as the ceramic beads my brother has, so I will stay with the tumbler media. It works well with everything from the 204, to my 35 Whelen.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

[quote="Bunnybuster"]I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube. They sell a little bottle of ceramic beads, that are used with the lube as a carrier.
quote]

Lead or steel shot works good with the "NECO" process as you described. I use #4 steel shot with WS2 as a lubricant when I'm loading coated bullets. A 35gn Berger box makes a good container.

Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

jo191145

I don't reload for shotguns, so I don't have shot around. I do tumble cases, and have pounds of media around.

This isn't the NECO process, it is a way to dry lube case necks before resizing. I just neck size for most of what I reload. For the neck lube, all you need is a tiny bit, and the amount that coats the tumbling media, and transfers to the case neck is just fine. When the amount of lube on the case decreases, then I cap the bottle and shake it up, to recoat the media. After about 500 rounds, I need to add just a tad more lube to the bottle.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

BB

My use of the term "Neco process" probably was not well advised as its commonly known to be used for Necos bullet coating method.
Neco marketed a dry lubricant application method in the past for lubing the necks prior to sizing. Essentially the same thing your doing with tumbling media they just used lead or steel shot with moly to be used in conjunction with moly bullets.

I simply stole thier idea when I switched to WS2. Figured I might as well lube the neck with the same lubricant on the bullet.
I might have even switched to #9 shot as I occasionally had #4 jam up inside the 204R case if I dipped to deep. Its been awhile since I used it and I'm not entirely certain what size shot might be in that container :duh:

For naked pills I use the Frankford Arsenal kit with Imperial graphite that Woodchuck referred too.

Whatever works works.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

I got the Frankford set and the Imperial. It worked fine except sometimes I would get a wad of Imperial in the neck if I didn't tap it good. It did make the neck sizing easy.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

woodchuck

Easy answer: You have to much Imperial graphite in the well. Just as I have to much shot in my container ;) :lol:

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

I forgot about putting the shot in the container.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Thats ok woodchuck. Your not supposed to put shot in the Frankfords well. I quess you could if you want but its not necessary. You could simply scoop some of the graphite back out. I'll bet you dumped the whole container in eh.
About an 1/8'' in the well is ample.
When using the shot method one does not normally use the brush. Both systems work but I think the Frankford system is a little more consistent.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

I didn't put any in the well. I was just dipping it in the original container. Maybe I will try some in the well.