Is the 39gr Sierra Blitzking really the magic bullet?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Is the 39gr Sierra Blitzking really the magic bullet?

Post by BabaOriley »

39gr Sierra Blitzking, 26gr H4895, COAL (base to very tip) of 2.251, to cycle in AR-15
I used copper solvent on this barrel for the first time last night, and it may have made a difference. I thought I'd see more copper, but after (2) 10 minute soakings with Montana X-Treme 50 BMG, then scrubbing with a nylon brush, then patches, the first dry patch had a little blue on it, the second and third none. This was after my normal cleaning routine using Kano Kroil. Maybe the Kroil is doing a decent job on the copper too? It's a Shilen barrel, so it may just not collect much copper. ?

This is a 10-shot group, shot in about 2 minutes earlier this evening. I put a variety of bullets down the barrel for about a half hour before I shot this target, so the barrel was very warm. I wanted to try getting up to around 50 shots without cleaning to see what happened to accuracy. Haven't cleaned yet, and not sure I should until groups start getting bigger than this. Whatever the group size, it's a 100 if we scored it! The 10 ring is 1.5" on this target.

Still not quite up to Old Turtle's level, but working on it!

Last edited by BabaOriley on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BabaOriley

Re: Is the 39gr Sierra Blitzking really the magic bullet?

Post by BabaOriley »

Am I guessing correctly here, when thinking my 23" 1:10 twist barrel is not going to give velocities comparable to the 1:12 twist 204 barrels? This 26gr of H4895 load is giving me about 3550fps. This seems slower than many 1:12 twist barrels are giving. Does the twist have more effect on velocity than length?
Red

Post by Red »

BabaOriley wrote: Does the twist have more effect on velocity than length?
I couldn't say? I lose about 150 fps going from a 26" barrel to a 22" barrel with the identical load. Each has a 12 twist (or there about) and each is a bolt action rifle.
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

Red wrote:...and each is a bolt action rifle.
Good call. I keep forgetting about the loss of velocity from it being a semi-auto. I'm going need to stay more aware of that if watching the chrono on a new load, not seeing the same velocity as listed somewhere, and thinking I can keep bumping up the charge until I see that speed. It's just not gonna be the same out of a 23" AR.

Thanks for reminding me of that Red.
Red

Post by Red »

3550fps with 26gr of H-4895 sounds pretty good to me.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

BO, Some days, OT isn't up to it either... :eew: :lol:
Still not quite up to Old Turtle's level, but working on it!
I've had my "El Tigre" AR stripped down to bare metal after the postal shoot and am in the process of 're decorating' it, so it will be interesting to see if the accuracy was affected...

It may start 'pouting' on me if it doesn't like the new color scheme.. :hic: :roll:
AR
Factory/Factory
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

OldTurtle,

With all the camo jobs, and bead blasting everyone's doing on rifles now, I assume to let their rifle blend into the environment, and cut down on reflections... You seem to have a different theory concerning rifle finishes. Not sure I could go there, but it's cool someone does. Maybe a nice polka dot? I think the way it/you can shoot, it might be fun to show up at the range with this paint scheme, and let anyone try picking on it. Or, if you really want to let those varmints know you're gunning for them, you couldn't go wrong with a classic blaze orange. For you OldTurtle, I might suggest a faux tortoise shell paint scheme, with some abalone inlay.

This is probably what I'd get on mine if I could afford it, but then it seems like I might baby it, not wanting to get it scratched. This, or everything I could get hardcoated white, since there's snow on the ground when we hunt coyotes here. I already plan on wrapping mine with those clingy/elastic white horse badages for winter. I guess prairie dogs don't care what color it is.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

My creative juices are just starting to flow... Right now, it's sitting in the corner with a good coat of Olive primer on it, waiting for some thing to really get me going...

I have several schemes rolling around in my head, some not quite as striking as the 'Tiger', and some a little wilder... :roll:
AR
Factory/Factory
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Post by jwc41 »

The 39 gr. BK does great gymnastic work on prairie dogs, and works well on the occasional long-range coyote. My DPMS-barreled AR really likes 27.2 gr. of IMR4895 and 28.0 gr. of W748 (sub .5" with both, to a slightly different POA), but there are trade-offs with each. The 748 is much easier to meter and I can use my Dillon 550 to crank them out. However, it dirties up the gun a lot quicker and leads to more frequent cleaning. Loading the IMR means metering each charge with a PACT unit loading with a Lyman turret press. Right now I favor the IMR because I've got more of it.

My color scheme is stainless (barrel), black (receivers, base and rings) and OD green (Magpul Precision stock (the 20 rd mags are on order), Burris FFII 6.5-20 Tactical scope, Hogue fore-end and ERGO pistol grip). However, I confess the tiger stripe looked kinda' trick.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I use 27.5 grains of H 4895 in my 24 in. barreled AR and get about 3800 FPS with the 39 SBK. I don't think it being an AR causes it to lose much velocity. I use almost the same load im my Ruger bolt gun and get the same velocity. Maybe you need more powder? :lol:

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

Old Turtle, the brother has a Ruger No. 1, in 22-250, that he painted in a rainbow. It is red at the barrel tip, and fades through orange to yellow midway in the forend, through green to deep navy blue at the butt.

Definitely striking, but not my taste.