Huge load workup project for DTech AR

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Huge load workup project for DTech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Hi guys,

Been lurking in here and on many other boards since ordering my 204 from DTech back in what feels sometimes like the 70's. He had a delay on 1:10 twist barrels from Shilen. I feel I've soaked up alot of information on the 204 cartridge over the past months, and am really looking forward to seeing how this thing shoots. It should be ready any day. I just started reloading this spring, and have so far successfully worked up a load for my .270 Win.. In the .270, I was really only trying to get a load for the 90gr Sierra HP, and with 4 powders, I think I made up over 180 rounds to find "the one". Can't wait to see how that load performs on game. A .277" 90gr HP with 3500fps MV. My .270 is away getting a trigger and bedding job right now, so I hope I can get it back and shoot better than the ~MOA I got with this load.

My 204 will be a 23" 1:10 twist, with Mike's compensator. A tuned RRA 2-stage trigger. Glass will be a 30mm 4-16x50 Millett TRS-1.

At this point, I have 1000 Winchester brass that I've put through the following operations, in order:
1. Uniform flash holes
2. Uniform primer pockets
3. Full length resize
4. Trim to 1.839 (If i remember correctly, I think I had alot of brass that were right at 1.84, and wanted to take at least a bit off all of them.)
4. Chamfer inside case mouth (I cheated here and bought a 3-way cutter for my Trim Pro, trim/chamfer/deburr in one step.)
4. Deburr outside case mouth (I cheated here and bought a 3-way cutter for my Trim Pro, trim/chamfer/deburr in one step.)
5. Prime with Remington 7 1/2 BR (I primed 100 of them with CCI 450 SR Magnum primers.)

Bullets In Stock:
Hornady V-Max 32gr Flat Bottom Ballistic Tip Hollow Point
MidwayUSA Dogtown 34gr Flat Bottom Hollow Point
Berger 35gr Flat Bottom Hollow Point
Sierra BlitzKing 39gr Flat Bottom Ballistic Tip Hollow Point
Nosler 40gr Boattail Ballistic Tip Hollow Point
Nosler 40gr Boattail Ballistic Tip Hollow Point *Factory 2nds
Berger 40gr Boattail Hollow Point
Hornady V-Max 40gr Boattail Ballistic Tip Hollow Point
Hornady 45gr Jacketed SoftPoint

Powders In Stock:
Hodgdon H4895
Hodgdon H322
Hodgdon H4198
Hodgdon Benchmark
Hodgdon Varget
Alliant Reloader 10x

I plan on loading up a couple hundred mild loads to break in the barrel with. After that, I have alot of loads to trickle one by one.

I plan on writing up an article on the whole ordeal. It'd feel like too much work if nobody else could benefit from it. If any of you have any powders/bullets you'd like to see involved, let me know. If it's too out of whack, you may have to send it to me, but for now all I think I really may be missing for bullets is the 50 grain berger. The way it sounds, I bet they shoot out of the 1:10 barrel too. I'd also like to try some of those Unmussig bullets, but am scared to find out the price of them.

The way everyone talks, I'm betting the 39gr BK with 4895 will be the overall winner, but am hoping the Nosler 40 shines as well because I can get the 2nds cheaper than the dogtowns. I like the idea of using a Hodgdon Extreme powder, if it actually means they'll be less effected by temperature extremes. It's gonna be 90 for the next couple weeks here, and -10 on a few coyote outtings. I suppose I may have to adjust the load for winter no matter what powder I want to use, but I'd like to test them when temps are at their hottest.

Any advice/ideas would be appreciated. (Where have I already screwed up? : )

Thanks
Last edited by BabaOriley on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BabaOriley

Re: Huge load workup project for DTech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Questions on this project...
Would you guys test the better performing loads all over again in once fired brass before choosing THE load for this rifle and loading up 1000? I plan on full length sizing every time for these (It's an AR)

Am I wasting my time? I've noticed some concensus from the guys posting their loads on what bullets/powders seem to work best since I started acquiring reloading components.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I think it would be well worth you while to determine which bullet you want to shoot and then concentrate on finding a load for that one. If you tried all those bullets with all those powders your barrel will be ready for replacement by the time you find the perfect bullet/powder combination. With a 1:10 twist, you should be able to shoot the 40 grainers.

There are some loads posted here that seem to work well for a lot of rifles. Why not start with one of those? Start towards the minimum load and work your way up in .2 grain increments while watching for signs of pressure. If you are really wanting to see the accuracy of the rifle start with the 35 or 40 gr. Bergers just to establish a baseline for what the rifle is capable of. Then move on to the bullet you want to hunt with. At least then you will know what the rifle is capable of.

It looks like you have done your homework, now it's time to have a little fun. Be sure to keep good notes at the range and save your targets for future reference. The better performing loads are well worth a second look. As far as that is concerned, post some pictures and let us all have a look. Good luck.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

That's really sound advice from one of this forum's most seasoned shooters. I do a lot of prairie dog shooting, but I seldom load up more than 500 rounds of any load. Things change, and if you get a new favorite load you don't want to be stuck with too many of the old.

I have a couple of cartridges that I load for where I finally found a real good load and all my brass is full of various test loads. Got to buy and prep some more brass or pull bullets. Yuck!
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

skipper wrote:I think it would be well worth you while to determine which bullet you want to shoot and then concentrate on finding a load for that one.
I really hope the 40gr Nosler factory 2nds shoot tight, because I'm "only" paying 11 cents a piece for them. From what I've read, they can perform pretty well. If they do for me, I may use these for PD's. For coyote, it sounds like the lighter/faster bullets may be too explosive at ranges under 200 yards, especially with a faster twist, leaving gaping holes. (Not that the .270 is any more fur friendly.) Thinking the 45gr softpoint may work well there, but it seems like a 45-50gr bonded core, or FMJ would be a nice addition to the current selection. Then it seems we'd see something like that already if they worked. You'd think they would have tested it by now.

All theory from me so far. I don't know much about any of this yet from real expeience, so am getting anxious to try all combinations myself. I do plan on it taking at least 400 rounds through the thing before deciding on what works best in mine. Getting there should be somewhat fun too I'd think.
skipper wrote:There are some loads posted here that seem to work well for a lot of rifles. Why not start with one of those?
I do plan on starting just below what I can find to be an average of the loads I can find online. If I can't find much information on a more rarely used weight/bullet, I'll start lower.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably get started loading some up this weekend.
serpent71
.204 Ruger Guns: xr-100

Post by serpent71 »

i just got my ar form mike about a month ago i got it 223 but anyways i am very happy with the preformance of the gun so far. i only have about 100 rounds down the barrel
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I guess it is too early to ask how it is doing. Are we there yet? :mrgreen:

Let us know. I am sure that Dtech will shoot almost everything real well.

Good Luck,

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
capitol
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ527

Post by capitol »

I got the same barrel on my D-Tech. I worked up a load and 39gr SBK's over 28 grains of Varget shoot sub dime groups at 100 yards. Try it out for yourself. I bet you'll be pleased.