Reloading bench advise

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Reloading bench advise

Post by chuckhunter »

I am new to reloading and I would like some advice on setting up a reloading bench. I am on a budget, but if you could give me tips on size, height and width, storage compartments, etc., I would appreciate it. Are there premade benches or designs that you would recommend? Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: Reloading bench advise

Post by huntsman22 »

chuck, Nrma has plans for a bench.

http://www.somerssportsmen.com/bench.pdf

I built one for a friend from these plans. I modified the design and materials to be more promintly displayed in his home. I used cabinet grade oak, instead of common framing lumber.

However, my set up is not that nice. When I built it, it had to be mobile, as I moved a lot from ranch to ranch and job to job. It was built from a truckstop cafe table base with a piece of 1/4 steel bolted to the top to mount tools on. Measures on the left, presses in the center, trimmer junk on the right. The trimmers(or any other crank style tool) are mounted with the cranks over the edge to keep from rapping yer knuckes on the top.

You can make a b&d workmate or an old office desk or some cinder blocks with an old door on top, into a bench....... Just use your imagination......Don
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Heres mine:
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I built mine too and its sturdy and handy but I wouldn't be taking any pictures of it right now because its kind of mess. The most important thing is to have a sturdy top to mount the press to. Something with a little bit of beef to it. Dave
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

A solid core door, mounted to two old filing cabinets is pretty serviceable, and easy to make. Check thrift stores for used high quality filing cabinets, the ones in Vegas used to have them for about $25/each. For the door, just keep checking HomeDesperate, or Lowers for ones in the clearance rack that have one side dinged or chipped. Put the dinged side down and no one will know the difference. If you are in a hurry just buy the door. Get one that is 32 or 30-inches wide, 1-1/2-inches thick, and unbored.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

Thank you for the input so far! Once I get set up i'll take some pics :D