BLC-2 powder W/ 40 grn tips?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

BLC-2 powder W/ 40 grn tips?

Post by Ray P »

:idea: Anyone try this powder and come up with any pet loads? I was reading one of my Hodgdon powder manuals and the say it works well in the 17 remington. On the burn rate side it is slower than Varget?
I did a search in the the 204 reloading area and didn't fine any matches.
Later and thanks!
Ray P :chin:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: BLC-2 powder W/ 40 grn tips?

Post by WrzWaldo »

http://wrzwaldo.org/reloading/public/20 ... Loads.html

I did not have much luck with the 40's in my XR-100, but I do like BLC with 32 V-Max.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Ray

The only advice I can give on BLC-2 is when you hit Hodgens book max you are really close to max!!!
My limited experience anyway.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

I'll second what jo said and if you work your load up in cooler weather watch out on warm/hot days.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Am currently at 29 grains of BL-C(2), with 40 gr V-Max and Hornady cases. Tell you the truth - I don't seem to be able to find my notes with the chrono readings. Odd, must have misplaced 'em.

Hornady factory 40 grainers clocked 3676 fps, with a tight SD of 6, and decent accuracy from the little CZ sporter. These handloads of mine shoot to the same point of impact at 200 yards, so I'm guessing the velocity is similar.

Guess I'll just have to haul the chronograph, rifle and ammo out to the range again! :D Oh darn. What I really like about the BL-C(2) is how well it meters through the powder measure. I just set it and load. Check a charge every now and again to be sure I'm still on. No problems w/pressure and heat but I didn't shoot 'em a lot last summer either. I wouldn't call this a refined load - I took a look at Hodgdon's min & max loads, started with minimum of 28, tried 28.5 and then 29 grains. Stopped a grain short of Hodgdon's max charge which is listed as 30 grains. BL-C(2) was recommended to me by a number of our local varmint shooters who load large quantities of .204's for varmint busting. It seems to work pretty well, but admittedly, I could do some more load development. Or heck, I could just go load up a mess of 'em at 29 grains again and blaze merrily away!

I'll try to get some chronograph data again. Really bothered me that I can't find that. I keep all my load data & results in a 3-ring binder - but there's nothing for the .204 except the initial factory load testing I did w/Hornady 32's & 40's. Must have never made it to the binder...

Regards, Guy