Key Hole Problem

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Fat NDN
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Bull Barrel

Key Hole Problem

Post by Fat NDN »

:wall: I have been trying to work up a load for the 39 gr Sierra Blitz King. I have used every load in my 5 or 6 books.
I have been shooting at 50 yds with no hits on paper, so today I moved to 25yds. Using 27.5 grs Varget with an
average velocity of 3498fps and 28.0 grs of Varget with average velocity 3438 fps. The 28.0 gr loads had a longer COL
which might account for the lesser velocity, but I am not sure. The rifle is H&R .204 22" Bull Barrel with 1:12 twist.
32 and 34 gr bullets work fine.
I need some help, PLEASE

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Key Hole Problem

Post by acloco »

Some bullets do not stabilize in some rifles....no matter what.

Is there ANY copper in your barrel? Look in the end with a flashlight. If you see copper, then it needs to be removed before going on with any more testing.
Michael in WA
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Michael in WA »

Hi there;

Couple of things come to mind here, major bore fouling is possible, but you stated the 32grn. & 34grns. shoot, so......? that.
Another thing possible, but probable....? is a twist deviation in barrel that won't allow the longer 39grn. bullets to stabilize correctly or consistently. Don't know how H&R barrels are made.
One thing that comes to mind though in looking at your data is the velocities seem low for the 39grn. bullet even for a 22" barrel. Don't know all the loads you have tried with this barrel but would suggest a faster powder such as IMR 4895, Benchmark, etc.
Push the envelope on the load as long as you don't get into excessive or high pressure signs. A little higher velocity may help stabilize the 39grn. bullet in the one turn in twelve twist if in fact that is what it is.
Please understand that I am in no way recommending exceeding or going into dangerous pressures that are NOT safe for your rifle.
Do keep us posted.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I would give that rifle a serious cleaning, concentrating on the throat area. When you think you have it clean, push a patch wet with bore cleaner just into the throat area and let it sit for about 15 - 20 minutes. Then push it on out of the muzzle and see what it looks like. Powder can build up and harden into an almost porcelain like material right there in the throat. It's hard to get out. There's only one way I have found that works. A snug bore brush dipped in bore cleaner and some serious elbow grease. Soaking works great but, you still need to follow up with the bore brush. Every time my bore brush goes through my barrel it is dipped in Hoppes #9 bore cleaner first. I like to use a generous amount of bore cleaner. After I get ALL the powder residue out then I start working on the copper. I like my barrels squeeky clean.

While you are cleaning you can check the twist rate. Put a mark on your cleaning rod near the handle. The mark should run down the rod about an inch, not around the rod. Now all you have to do is measure how far the handle moves until the mark makes a complete turn while pushing a brush down the bore. Let us know what you find.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

I'm inclined to agree with Michael in WA. I don't think you're pushin' them hard enough.

Mike
Factory Custom
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Buy a box of 40gn factory ammo. Clean that barrel according to the previous recommendations and then some. Shoot the 39's again. If they keyhole try the 40's and see what happens.
Your velocity's are pretty low and increasing speed should help but.....
I've never had either of the Sierra pills work consistently for me either. My first barrel keyholed them. The other three turn them to dust. All other bullets shoot fine. Most of my tubes do not like the 40's but the bullets make it to the target providing its large enough. :lol:

Switching to moly and WS2 would not make the Sierras hold together.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Fat NDN
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Bull Barrel

Post by Fat NDN »

Well today I measured my bullets. Those 39gr Blitzkings only measure .203, whereas my other bullets all measure .204.
I think with them rattling down the tube might be the problem.
E.Tn.
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 11FNS

Post by E.Tn. »

Fat,
I'm having keyhole problems in my new Savage (see "Keyhole help" a few threads below). Long story short - mine keyholes all reloads and not factory loads at all. I haven't found the why yet. On the subject of cleaning and fouling, I can't believe how much fouling comes out of my gun. I have gotten an incredible amount of crap out of my gun and if you try different solvents, the stuff just keeps comming out of the thing.
I have'nt been to the range in a couple of weeks but I hope to go next week and try some new things on mine. I might have a runout problem or a neck sizer that screws things up.

Keep us postedhttp://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/posting.php? ... f=4&t=4778#
:wall:
Greg
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Had to send my new Savage back to the factory. Hornady factory loads keyholed right from the start. They put a new barrel on and it's OK now.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society