Reduced .204 load help

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Reduced .204 load help

Post by Gmoney »

Fellas,

After running a full speed .204 for 3 or 4 years now I'm changing directions with it. I'm thinking of strictly finding a fur load with it. I realize I could change calibers, etc. but I love my rifle and setup and just think a 32-40 grain bullet at 2800 would be mighty nice...

Not going the Red Dot or Blue Dot route as I do not like the potential hazards. I'm looking for a case full or close to it, of powder to give me approximately 1,000-1,300 fps slower than full speed.

For the reduced load I'm thinking of changing bullet picks as well. WIth full speed loads I prefer a bullet with a heavier construction (35,40 Berger) that would likely get an exit of broadside shots. At least I get exits half the time.

I'm thinking of going with a 30 Berger or even a 32 Vmax or Sierra to try to get them to stay inside at below 3K MV. Preferable even as slow as 2600-2800.

Like I said, this will not be used much past 150 yards or so and will be a fur load.

Any thoughts, load data, or suggestions?

Appreciate the time fellas...
http://www.Predatoroutfitters.com

Fully guided predator hunting by guys who live and breathe it.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Reduced .204 load help

Post by acloco »

H414 will be your friend.

With a FULL case of H414 in a 223 AI case with a 55 grain bullet, I only reach 3000 fps.

This is in the vincinity of 31 grains of powder.
jo191145

Re: Reduced .204 load help

Post by jo191145 »

I've used Win 760 in the 204 as an experiment. Much like aclocos H 414 it produces little velocity for its mass. The two powders are almost identical. They just might be.
I didn't save any of that data though. I can try and look it up. Its floating on the web somewhere. I wasn't specifically trying to go slow either.
I know of the existence of "fluffy" powders designed for low velocity cowboy pistol shooting but know nothing of they're characteristics.
Either of the Sierra bullets would be my choice. They are of the lightest construction which should be beneficial at low velocity's I think.

I found it. 29.0 gns gave me 3317fps with the 40 Nosler. That was my lowest charge. Not quite what your looking for.
Ya know, just because I did this and got away with it doesn't mean its safe. Low order detonation or some such term comes to mind.
Personally I wouldn't recommend it. If you feel you must I suggest a magnum primer.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .