What dies do I need?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Irishfan

What dies do I need?

Post by Irishfan »

What dies do I need for reloading? My friend let me borrow his Lyman expert reloading kit. He has had it for over ten years, still in the shrink wrap. If I get carbide dies, do I not need lube? I still need to buy a couple of reloading books to understand the process. Thanks.

Bob
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: What dies do I need?

Post by Vartarg »

Congratulations for getting the setup, and for joining the handloading ranks....it's infectious.

What cartridges are you going to be reloading? Handgun? Rifle? What calibers? For what purpose? These are some questions which will help know how to respond....

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
22shooter

Post by 22shooter »

The carbide dies are very useful for cylindercal and straight pistol cartridges. You do not need to lube them. Bottleneck rifle cartridges require dies that need lubrication.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I still need to buy a couple of reloading books to understand the process.
Since you recognize the need for manuals and are just getting into the reloading process.. Let me suggest the Lee Second Edition reloading manual,, just for a start as it explains a lot of the "why's" as well as the "how to's"...

Admittedly, there is a lot of self promotion in it, but the history and development of loading process is worth the inconvenience.

The key element to reloading is SAFETY and if you don't understand the basic elements, it is really easy to unknowingly get yourself in a dangerous situation at both the reloading and shooting bench.

I've been reloading handgun ammunition for years and recently started into the bottleneck rifle cartridges and in some ways, it is a night and day difference and it's easy to miss a step when switching between the two.
AR
Factory/Factory
Irishfan

Post by Irishfan »

At this point, I am only looking to reload .204, but who knows what the future might hold. In the box were dies for a .44 magnum and .357, never opened or used.

I do have a guy I work with that reloads, but he mainly reloads for his handguns.

Another quick question, why is the norma brass so much more expensive than say Hornady?

Thanks.

Bob