case trimmer?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

case trimmer?

Post by crazy2medic »

what case trimmer do you prefer? I'm looking at the forester
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Re: case trimmer?

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

If you have a lot of trimming to do, you will find a powered trimmer is a lot easier. I use the RCBS (case pro?) and it is easy to set up and use and it is consistent.
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

I`d vote for the wilson case trimmer.Works really well for the price.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Forster. All of the accessories are 1/2 the price as the other brands. Forester is just as accurate as the rest.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

+1 for the Wilson case trimmer...simple to use, last forever!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

204ruger is my only reloading experience, I use a RCBS Turret press kit, with a FL sizing die. Much of my brass is on its fourth go around and I've never needed to trim it back into spec. I don't really have a point I guess, but I was expecting some growth in the brass. I haven't developed an accuracy load - mostly do it for the cost savings - usually 25 or 26 grains of H4895 behind a 40 or 32 grain V-Max bullet. The way things are going, I figure by the time my brass stretches to the point of needing a trim, it's prolly' time to pitch it anyways.....?
"The unfortunate thing about common sense, is that it's rather uncommon."

-Me
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Caboose: Toss brass when it needs a trim? You must be either rich, enjoy prepping cases, or have an unlimited brass source. Get a good case trimmer, learn how to anneal, and you'll have cases that will grow old with you as long as you don't hot-rod them with high pressure loads.

I'm still shooting .223 Rem brass from the mid-1970's that gets reloaded once every year. It has been annealed, trimmed, and shot at coyotes, prairie dogs, badgers and ground squirrels so many times that unless I keep accurate records (recommended), I'd forget how many times it has been shot.

If you use the Forester case trimmer, you can also perform many other bench operations that require other tools from other manufacturers such as outside neck turning, neck reaming, primer pocket cleaning, hollow-point pistol ammunition, etc. I've used mine since about 1975, and it's still going strong. Just because a case needs trimming, certainly does not mean it gets tossed! :eek:

Here's my Forester trimmer set up for outside neck turning:

The Forester is the most versitile unit on the market IMHO. There are many very good units out there, but none of them can do all the chores this little puppy can.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rick65Cat
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 MkII Target

Post by Rick65Cat »

I'm using mostly Lee equipment but Lee doesn't make a case trimmer for the .204 They'll custom make one for $20 US.
Is there any other company that makes one that can be bought off the shelf? I'm in Edmonton Canada.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rick: "Yes" there is....see my post above. The Forester is available in .20 caliber right off the shelf.

Late note: I've been using my Forester trimmer since the late '70's in calibers from my .17's, with about every caliber in between all the way up to .45! This includes all the operations mentioned above in all these calibers. No other trimmer on the market will do everything the Forester will do....the Wilson is excellent all the way, but even it will NOT neck turn..... :chin:
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

Post by crazy2medic »

I bought a forester case trimmer and it works great! I've run 400rds through it no problems!
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
Rick65Cat
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 MkII Target

Post by Rick65Cat »

Of course the store that I frequent ADVERTISES they carry Forrester but when I get there...nada, zippo :x
Guess I gotta go to Forrester's web site and find another dealer.

Well, the cases I'm reloading are factory Hornady .204 32gr. Vmax's "once fired" from my rifle. Does that mean they're fire formed to my gun? I've measured empty the case length and they do vary. Out of about 100, a few have been at the min. and a few have been a couple of thou over max. with the majority falling in the middle.