Neck sizing?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
ROTAXPOWER

Neck sizing?

Post by ROTAXPOWER »

I just bought a neck sizing die this weekend at a gun show and was wondering what if it would improve my accuracy or if it was a waste of $$. Also do I need to lube the cases when I neck size? Thanks!!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Neck sizing?

Post by acloco »

Lightly lube the inside of the case necks. I usually lube every other when neck sizing.

Accuracy - depends on how accurate the press is. ...really. ..and don't believe that an inexpensive press is not capable of delivering excellent brass.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

You probably won't see great increases in your accuracy, but you should see a small improvement, assuming you are capable of doing your part on the range. Which usually means you have a good rest and are shooting consistent groups to start with.
"Bad Dad" Given to me by my 8 year old son after watching a 60's movie were I had to explain “BAD” as being “Awesome, Sweet, Rad":cool: . Love that kid
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

If your old sizing die left considerable runout and the new die leaves very little, then you might realize a gain in accuracy. What have you been using? What did you buy?

The problem with neck sizing only is that eventually, you will have to full length size. Trying to keep straight which brass needs full length sizing and which can be neck sized becomes tedious. For top accuracy, you should have very consistent and perfect ammo. That is why most benchrest shooters full length size every time but with minimal set back and squeezing the body in just .0005 or so. That is just enough to chamber easily without disrupting the rifle in the bags and without overworking the brass. BTW expander balls are heck on brass.

I have the Redding competition dies for my 204. Unfortunately, that means separate steps for body sizing and neck sizing. It's not custom matched to my chamber but it does ok. I wish I had known more when I bought it. It is not as easy to use or as accurate as my benchrest gear and cost the same. :wall:

For my 6ppc, I have one die that is matched to my chamber. Everything is set back .0005". That's half a thousandth or about 1/10th of a human hair. That's all it takes and my ammo is exactly the same every time. It decaps and sizes in one pull of the handle. I can reload my brass with hot loads well over 50 times without trouble or annealing or any of that other stuff that overworking the brass makes us do.
pikeon
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 110

Post by pikeon »

Use a lee collet die and there is no need to lube. They work great and are inexpensive.
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

pikeon wrote:Use a lee collet die and there is no need to lube. They work great and are inexpensive.
That's all I use on all my rifle reloads. :wink:
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society