Newb needs to know where to start with How-to, equip, etc.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Wheesnah
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Newb needs to know where to start with How-to, equip, etc.

Post by Wheesnah »

I know there's a lot of reloading experts out there and I'll be the first to say I may never become an expert, but I'd like to request your input to ensure I get off to a good start. The extent of my reloading experience is limited to Halo 3. Before the flaming starts, let me say I've read through this forum and have found loads of useful, scattered information (pun intended). The reasoning behind my post is to get get a comprehensive, clear-cut description on where to start with the following:

1) How-to information! I need a book, DVD, etc. Which do you recommend?
2) Equipment. Is there a good kit I can buy that I won't outgrow if I decide to really jump into hand loading?
3) Web resources. Where do you order supplies?

Yeah, yeah, I know... I didn't tell you my budget and for now let's not worry about budget. Give me the Honda Accord recommendation rather than the Mercedes variety and I'll be fine. Thanks in advance for your help.
crashcarruthers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Kevlar

Re: Newb needs to know where to start with How-to, equip, etc.

Post by crashcarruthers »

Get " The ABC's of Reloading" by Bill Chevalier and two or three good Reloading Manual like Sierra Bullets, Nosler, Speer would be my pick ( I favor the bullet manufactures over reloading companies, but just my preference). Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Hogdon Powders and other also have very good info.

I guess on equipment one of the better values is an RCBS kit. I generally buy individual components that I "think" are high quality, but a good value. I research equipment on different reloading forums and ask questions. Most all of the folks you meet on reloading forums are GREAT PEOPLE, but we are an opinionate lot.

If you know or meet someone who reloads in your area, ask if you can watch and learn.

Bottom line have fun and enjoy. Never rush and ALWAYS BE SAFE!
ultralight
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Ultralight

Post by ultralight »

I'm maybe 1 month ahead of you right now. I bought the Hornady book as my first and the ABC's 2nd. Should have bought the ABC's 1st.

Jake
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

There is a book called Handloading For Competition that has a lot of good information. You can find it on Sinclairs web site. It should get you heading in the right direction.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/cat ... type=store

Personally, I'm a fan of the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press. RCBS makes a starter kit with the Rockchucker but it won't quite have everything you need to reload the .204. I don't think any kit has everything you will need. Make sure you get the Rockchucker and not the smaller Partner press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

The kit doesn't come with some of the essentials like calipers, a case trimmer, flash hole deburring tool, primer pocket uniformer or dies. You will have to buy those separately.

Reading your comment about Honda Accords vs. Mercededs, let me say that it is less expensive to buy the right equipment the first time than it is to have to buy it the second time. Having said that, it's hard to go wrong with Redding dies, or Wilson case trimmers, or Sinclair primer pocket uniformers, etc. Most of that kind of stuff can be found on Sinclairs web site. You have to ask yourself what level of quality and accuracy you intend to achieve. I think that most of us have been bitten by the accuracy bug with the .204.

Good luck and just ask a lot of questions. The folks here will help you spend lots of money.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

10+ years ago, when I became seriously involved with handloading, I found this video by David Tubb to be very helpful. Books are necessary and helpful, but watching the process in action was a great help to me as well. Good luck...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=986260
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

All I'm gonna add is this little bit of info.

NEVER assume a load from somebody elses rifle will be safe in yours. Whether it's the same rig you own or not. Always start 10% lower,, minimum,, & work back up .2grs at a time in this small case.

Have fun, Be Safe & enjoy your new found hobby. :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick65Cat
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 MkII Target

Post by Rick65Cat »

I've kinda wanted to get into reloading but was always put off by the cost of everything needed. I figured for the amount I shoot, I can buy a lot of boxes of ready made shells. But the .204 costs almost a buck a round here in Edmonton Canada...buying 5 boxes at a time is almost $100. Then theres my .44 magnum.
So I just ordered the "ABCs of Reloading 8th edition" by Bill Chevalier.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Handloading is a great hobby, all by itself. It costs a fair amount to get going, but after that, the costs are amortized pretty quickly by shooting more.
By all means, get some loading manuals first, read them, and then read them again, that will help you with what you'll need to get going. Speer's seems easiest to read and it has lots of photos to help explain things, along with the Lyman manual, but all of them are good for getting started. The various kits offered by RCBS and others have all the basic necessities for starting up, as equipment goes, but you'll find that you want/need other stuff to make it more convenient/efficient, as time goes on.
I started out with Lee Loaders, back when I was all of 15 years old, basic, but it worked well for what I was doing at the time. I'd recommend the RCBS Rockchucker now, though.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

As far as books for a beginner, look at the Lee 2nd Edition.. Aside from the promotional comments about their products, it gives a lot of insight about the whys of reloading procedures as well as the 'how'.

The second would be the Sierra manual.

For a starting reloading set up, look into the Lee or RCBS kits as they include most of the accessories to do almost every step needed and will last most of your lifetime if proper care is taken.

You can always upgrade to "better = more expensive" equipment, but for basic quality reloading, either is hard to beat.

Whichever manuals you obtain, read them thoroughly and set up your routine procedures. Only keep one powder on the bench at a time.

If you are shooting a semi-auto, plan on full length sizing every time and if for one bolt action, a neck sizer die will extend the life of your brass.
AR
Factory/Factory
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

If you want to keep the cost down. Look at the RCBS Partner press or the kit. I bought the kit for my brother and was so impressed that I bought the indivedule press for my self. I use this now with a $20 dollar Lee hand press for all my reloadind 7mm Rem Mag on down because I can use it in my wifes kitchen. The Lee products seem chinzy but work so well that you will find many to be your favorites. I like there hand press for 20 bucks and there hand primming tool which out lasted my RCBS tool which just broke. Hand loading gets you accuracy for a good value. Hand loading can make a ordenary rifle into a tac driver. In joy your shooting.
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

Just my two pence worth ,but as soon as you can afford it, get a chronograph.If nothing else it will give you peace of mind.Afterall safety is the number one priority when reloading.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!