Loads for a Short Barrel ultra light fur.....

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
ultralight
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Ultralight

Loads for a Short Barrel ultra light fur.....

Post by ultralight »

Hey all, new member seekin' some help/advice.

I just got my first 204, a Ruger M77 MKII SS Ultralight w/ 20in. pencil thin barrel. I have to admit I bought it on impulse because it handled so nice! I'm looking for a load that will be fur friendly on coyote's/lynx/fox. I know this is prolly' a pipe dream asking so much from one load, but it should be close quarters calling. And what powder will do the best in my 20 in. barrel at very cold temps? I've read good things about the 35 gr bergers????? But several buddies at work are talking up the 39 gr BK's on fox. Should I try slightly reduced loads for fox or will the short barrel nock off enough velocity for me? Thats prolly' enough questions for now! LOL

OHH Yeah, 1 more :) Anybody else usin' this gun for a walkabout callin rig? Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks, Jake
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Loads for a Short Barrel ultra light fur.....

Post by WrzWaldo »

I'd probably start with Benchmark and if that didn't work try RL-10x, if 10x fails to perform you could try old faithful H4895.

You can't go wrong with the Bergers.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I lost 200 fps going from a 26 inch barrel (3850fps) to a 22 (3650fps) using 26.6gr Benchmark and 35gr Berger's.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I have the rifle in .223 and love it....very accurate and a delight to handle. I did add a Timney trigger, bed the action and float the barrel. I'm sure you're going to do well with your new gun.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I own one that I use for night hunting and love it it is very accurate. 21.5gr IMR 4198 40gr Vmax Hornady brass winchester Primmer OAl 2.275 Tight group all three shoots cutting each other. It will shoot 32gr Vmax's also Ram shot works good. and IMR 4895 and H4895. Ram shot powder is the easiest to use. (Xterminator) will not give you as fast as velocity as the other powders but is very accurate. I floated my barrel and installed the Timney trigger and it shoots great I haven't tried to glass bed it yet.
rogern

Post by rogern »

BLC-2 also holds the 32 grain Hornady V-Max to a nice group in my 24" CZ American