good suggestions to start reloading

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

good suggestions to start reloading

Post by cshooter »

I just got my dies and am ready to start trying to reload for my 204. I got that Ruger MK II sporter, what would be a good powder and bullet to try ? Should I load a little lighter than I would if my gun was a heavy barrel ? suggestions ?
Codeman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Re: good suggestions to start reloading

Post by Codeman »

I asked the same questions when I started reloading.
I would suggest 39g Blitzkings, H4895, CCI BR Primers (a little pricey).
Amount of powder: start 10% below stated max and work up from there. Barrel weight is not a factor.
Now, having said that, my load is:
40g V-max
26.2grains of H4895
CCI BR Primers
OAL: 2.30
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

cshooter wrote:I just got my dies and am ready to start trying to reload for my 204. I got that Ruger MK II sporter, what would be a good powder and bullet to try ?
RE-10x and 39 Sierra BK or 35 Grain Bergers.

Should I load a little lighter than I would if my gun was a heavy barrel ?
Nope... But you will want to start at the lower end of the table and work you way up to find the load/s that your rifle likes.

suggestions ?
Get and read a few of the load manuals.
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

check the favorite loads sticky!! I am not sure who it was but someone broke everyone's favorites into one list. That helped a lot!! Great reference.

For the 32gr bullets I would give benchmark a shot!! For me that seems to be the ticket. I had better luck with the blitzkings than the v-max bullets.

If I were to try the 39gr blitzkings I would prolly go with h4895. A lot of people seem to like that combo.

kyle
Frank

Post by Frank »

39 gr Sierra blitz kings with 25gr RL10X and Fed 205 match primer... My OAL is a bit long @ 2.348" so be careful on yours...

The 40gr Vmax & Nosler ballistic tips were not as consistent no matter the powder or charge. A disappointment for me, as the Noslers work great in my 223 & 22-250 & are my favorite coyote bullet... but was not to be in my 204.

The 32 gr Vmax did the best with Benchmark as someone else mentioned above. However, nothing has been as "consistently" accurate as my above load.

All The Best
Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

cshooter-- Please don't take offense to my post. I just want you to be Safe & hang out here with us for a long long time OK?? :wink:

How new are you to reloading?? A good reloading manuel should be where you want to start rather than on the internet. We have some good loads for other rifles but you should Be Careful since these have not been used in your rifle before. Not all rigs are the same. You rarely get a 2nd chance with 55,000lbs of pressure merely inches from your face.

If you have experience already then you can ignore my post. :wink: :lol:

Please Be Careful!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen