K&M Arbor Press Review

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

K&M Arbor Press Review

Post by skipper »

I ordered a K&M Arbor Press from Keith at Precision Reloading (800-223-0900) about a month ago. I wanted to be able to measure seating force so I added the optional strain gauge and a Mitutoyo dial gauge to top it all off. Any standard dial gauge would do but Keith made me a great deal on the Mitutoyo. I ordered a set of L E Wilson in-line dies from Sinclair to go with the press. I decided on the stainless steel micrometer seating die and the stainless steel bushing neck sizing die with .223 and .224 bushings. The press arrived in the mail in three days and the dies and .223 bushing arrived in four. I'm still waiting on the back ordered .224 bushing.

I was eager to get everything set up so out to the reloading bench I went packages in hand. I opened the box containing the press first. My first impression was that it would have been nice if the aluminum base and stand were polished. I'm sure that the shine wouldn't last long around my bench, but I really expected that pristine look associated with new tools. Next I opened the box with the Wilson dies and was very impressed with the fit and finish. These dies looked very new shiny. I pulled the seating stem out of the die body and was extremely pleased with the fit and feel. Someone spent some time getting this stem machined so well. There's no way this die could be mass produced on an assembly line, could it?

When I started to install the Mitutoyo gauge on top of the press I noticed that there was no set screw to hold it in place. I went back through the box and papers, but it just wasn't there. I started looking through my vast nut and bolt collection I have accumulated over the years. I couldn't find a machine screw with a knurled knob or wing for finger tightening. I looked through the drawers in my reloading bench and found a screw with knurled knob on my old comparator. It was brass, but it fit and worked like a charm. You can see it in the picture.

Setting the height of the ram requires loosening four hex head bolts on the back of the unit and moving the ram up and down until you get it to the right height. I found it easiest to run an empty case into the die with a bullet on top. This raises the seating stem to the pre-seating height. Then I adjusted the ram so that the ram arm was parallel with the base when the press head contacted the die. This left just enough room for the ram to operate with a full stroke and enough clearance for removing the die. My thought after adjusting this press was that I needed one for each caliber I intend to load. That way I wouldn't have to change the settings. Later I learned that once set up, you never have to move anything unless you change to a different bullet. Once set the press and dies don't need to be adjusted again. This fact would make this press the ultimate unit for taking along with you. The aluminum construction and overall size make it just right for traveling. I would remove the dial gauge first, though.

Now that everything is set, I can concentrate on actual performance. I set a charged case on the die base and covered it with the die. Next I pulled the seating stem out and dropped a bullet straight into the stem hole. I reinserted the seating stem and slid the die under the press head. I'm sure I should have balanced the bullet on top of the case before I lowered the die over it, but I just couldn't help taking the short cut. As I lowered the ram arm I could feel the Bellville washers compressing as the press head contacted the seating stem. The dial gauge started to move until the pressure got to about 30 pounds of seating force. At that point I could feel the bullet start into the case neck. There is a lot of feedback through the ram arm. The pressure increased to about fifty pounds as the seating stem bottomed onto the top of the die. I could actually feel the bullet break and then start the seating process around 30 pounds and then again when the seating stem bottomed out at 50. There is a lot of feedback both visually and physically. Measuring the loaded round on my concentricity gauge confirmed that the Wilson dies lived up to their reputation. The gauge needle barely moved at all. This press is certain to give a shooter all the information they need to produce percison ammo with very consistent neck tension and minimal run out. It is a snap to determine seating pressure and then sort your rounds accordingly.

I would highly recomend the K&M press to any shooter who wants to take accuracy to the next level. The K&M press isn't going to win a beauty contest, but when I comes to producing consistent ammo, this press delivers the goods. There is a learning curve to getting use to the operation because it is so different from conventional presses. Once I got the hang of the process, I felt that I was able to keep up the same speed I used to obtain from a single stage press.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Lee C.

Re: K&M Arbor Press Review

Post by Lee C. »

Thanks for the imfo on the K&M arbor press Skipper. That makes me feel alot better already. I've got the K&M press seating on my reloading bench right now. I orderd the L.E. Wilson stainless steel dies through sinclair international. But they are both on back order as of yet. Right now i'm keeping my run out on my case's down to just about nothing. But when i try to seat my bullets i just want to pull my hair out with the run out i'm getting. I've got two other press's and both will give some run out on the bullets when seating them. So thanks agine Skipper about your write up about the arbor press. It's good to know i'm getting some thing that will do what it says it will.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I could produce about 300 of the Wilson dies in less than a week with the right CNC Lathe.About $400000 will cover the cost of the lathe :eek:.... I'm also a VERY happy camper with my Wilson seater dies. I have the Mic type for the .204 and the standard for my 6.5/284. I need to send my 6.5 back to have it fitted to my fire formed brass. The 204 die fits perfect. My runout is also .0000-.0002 all the way out to the bullet tip. Skipper, can you position your press head so it's at about a 20 degree angle to the base. It makes it easier to load the die. When centered, I was sliding my die too close to the edge of the base, on the floor it went :x . They should make the basses a little wider :duh: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

skipper

Post by skipper »

Hawkeye Joe

There isn't an adjustment that would let you angle the press head with respect to the base. There seems to be enough room to center the die without worry about it falling off the base. I use the press in the middle of my bench anyhow so there wouldn't be any way the die could fall on the floor. I like the idea that the press doesn't need to be bolted in place.

Lee C.

I did notice some run out in a couple of bullets when I was checking concentricity. I traced it to the case neck though. If you have run out between the case and neck, it's going to affect run out measured at the bullet. I'm sure you know that already but you have to keep that in mind when checking. If you have problems with case neck run out from sizing, the press and dies isn't going to make it any better.

I have a question for you guys who have had the Wilson Seating Dies for a while. Do you balance the bullet on top of the case and then feed both into the bottom of the die or do you simply drop the bullet through the seating stem hole? I liked dropping them in through the hole better than doing the balancing act mostly because there isn't a shell holder to keep the case from falling over. I am worried that repeatedly removing the seating stem may lead to damaging it by loostening the fit. The fit is so tight, but smooth. It's easy to see how they work so well.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

That sure is a nice set up Skipper. With that strain guage and sorting I'm betting your Panda will be ready for the Nationals. Sure would be nice to see a 204 in the equipment list at a BR match 8)
Keep us up to date on how it goes.

Hate to say this before the postal match but your Remy will probably benefit from that set up more than the Panda.
The long jump to the lands really requires consisitent neck tension.
I'm really interested in how much variation in seating pressure your expieriencing. Knowing your attention to detail I doubt its much.

I'm still using a standard Redding seater and bushing die on a Lee press. If you don't mind how much did that rig cost? If I'm going to upgrade I might as well go for the best right away.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I did the drop through the hole till I read the instructions. I now do it the proper way and getting good at it. Give it a go and you'll be a pro in no time.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Out of character for me :doh: , but this time, like Hawkeye.....I actually read the instructions. They're clear that continued removing of the stem to drop the bullet in will have a negative impact on tolerances. It seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but for the time being it's working out ok holding the bullet on top of the case mouth and sliding the die over them.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
skipper

Post by skipper »

You guys don't really want me to read the instructions, do you? That takes all the fun out of it. :hammer: