20 cal. case prep tools

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
TOO builder
.204 Ruger Guns: Pac Nor barreled single shot Savage

20 cal. case prep tools

Post by TOO builder »

Been browsing a couple of weeks, great forum BTW. Only been loading for a couple of years and find the more I read the more I don't know and have to learn. I have a new Savage FV-S in 204 I will be loading for. What brand of flash hole deburring tool do you guys use? I have not purchased one yet (been loading .223 and 22-250) and was wondering if there was one tool out there that I could use on all three. I see the RCBS tool lists the smallest as 22cal.

How about dies? I have stuck to RCBS standard FL dies so far but have read allot of good comments on the Redding dies and useing the Comp. seater die. Would I be set up good if I got just a Redding FL die and the Comp. seat die? I like the idea of neck sizing and did buy a neck sizer for my 22-250. Then I read a post about useing your FL sizer to just neck size. I didn't understand it fully, anyone care to explain.

Sorry to be so long winded. I got into reloading wanting to improve accuracy and maybe save money for my pd shoots. Now I am finding I think I need more and better equipment all the time and just want to get as informed as possible so I can purchase the correct, high quality equipment once that will last a long time. I also live 100-150 miles from any good store that handles reloading stuff so I buy most my stuff from Graf's, Midway etc. so sites like this one are wonderful for learning. Thanks in advance, TB
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

For primer pocket uniforming on the 204's....I just a 30 cal RCBS setup. The 204 neck bottoms out on top of the 30 cal bushing...so..it would be nearly the same as buying a specifice 204 uniformer.

Unfortunately, Lyman does not sell a uniformer for 17's or 20's....I emailed and asked them...no..and no we are not going to make one.

Redding dies are awesome. Look at the Forster BR's as well. I like the microadjust stem.

Neck sizing is fine, you will need to full length size your brass, eventually.

To neck size with a FL die, just don't bump the shoulder. Technically, I partial full length size my brass (as I only have one rifle in each caliber). I bump the shoulder back 0.001" when full length sizing....to help extend brass life.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

TOO Builder--where are you located in Central ND????
What brand of flash hole deburring tool do you guys use?
I really like the Sinclair flash hole deburring tools I have for my .17 Remingtons and my .204 Ruger.

As far as using one tool for all three (.204, .223 and 22-250) you must remember that the .204 has a smaller casing neck diameter than the other two. You could get by with the same flash hole deburring tool for both the 22-250 and the .223 though.
How about dies?
While many folks seem to use their FL dies to neck size, I do not follow that path myself. If I want to neck size, I buy a die specifically designed for that purpose and for FL sizing I use a die specifically designed for that purpose.

The neck sizing dies I use for my .204 Ruger and my tight-necked .17 Remington are the Redding Type S bushing neck sizing dies. You can buy any size bushing you desire to most closely match your chamber and the tension you want to put on your bullet.

For my .17 Remington that has a SAAMI spec neck, I usually use a Lee collet die for neck sizing and that has worked flawlessly for that rifle.

I use the Hornady New Dimension FL sizing die for my .204 Ruger when I need to push the shoulder back a wee bit. For my other calibers, I use both RCBS and Forster.
Would I be set up good if I got just a Redding FL die and the Comp. seat die?
While you could get by with just a Redding FL die and the Comp. seat die, as I mentioned earlier, I would opt to add a bushing type neck sizing die. I would also suggest that you take a look at getting a Forster Ultra micrometer seating die instead of the Redding Competition die, just because of the big difference in price. They are both top-quality seating dies--it is just that the Forster seating die is a whole lot of dollars less expensive.

If you are interested in uniforming your primer pocket depth, I would highly recommend purchasing a K&M primer pocket uniformer. I like it better than the Sinclair tool I have.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

I see Lee is making a Collet die for the .204...Tom
fireball10x

Post by fireball10x »

I use the K&M primer pocket tool and forster dies the forsters are just as good as reddings maybe better they designed the sliding sleeve and redding copied them and they are 50.00 at midway.I also use a forster neck turner and co-ax gauge to check for runout and neck thickness
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Silverfox, What is the difference between the K&M and the Sinclair primer pocket unifier tool? I have just finished 1100 primer pockets with the Sinclair tool. I have to admit that primer pocket unifying is my least favorite case prep task and would go to any length to make it easier and faster. I have found that the Sinclair cutter seems to cut better at a low RPM. It requires at least three cycles of cutting and chip clearing per case. Are you working by hand or under power?
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

Silverfox where do you get K&M primer pocket uniformer at ?
204 try it you'll like it!
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Race4hills, You can order direct. (717)292-3175.
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

OK, let's see if I can answer the questions posed by many of you.

WHISTLEPIG--I use a small cordless screwdriver for my primer pocket uniforming activities. Here is a photo of the K&M Primer Pkt. uniforming tool and my Sinclair Primer Pkt. uniformer holder with one insert in it and one insert alongside.

I don't know if it is my imagination or not, but the K&M small rifle primer pocket uniformer I have seems to cut better than the Sinclair small rifle primer pocket uniformer. Both holders give you the option of changing cutting heads. The Sinclair model allows you to use the same power screwdriver holder for both large and small primer pockets. I am guessing that you can do the same thing with the K&M primer pocket uniformer since there is an allen screw holding the cutter in. The price for the K&M primer pocket uniformer was about $15 when I bought it but I have seen it at Gunstop Reldg. Supplies, Inc. for $17 lately. Two years ago, the Sinclair power screwdriver adaptor was about $11.00 and I think the large rifle and small rifle uniformers were about $10.00 each.

race4hills-- I purchased my K&M primer pocket uniformer and driver unit from John Walton at:

Gunstop Reloading Supplies Inc.
14410 Excelsior Blvd.
Minnetonka, MN 55345
1-800-645-7644
gunstop@mr.net

I am certain you could buy them directly from Ken at K&M too. I don't think they have a Web site, but you can call Ken at (717) 292-3175. His address is 5430 Salmon Run Rd., Dover, PA 17315 and the company name is K & M Services. He is a very friendly and helpful gentleman. I really like his neck turning tools!!!

Ohlsen-- That is good news to hear that Lee is making the collet die for the .204 Ruger. I knew they would build custom ones for about $50.00 each. I am hoping you are announcing that they are now making them so you can buy them off the shelf????? at a cost of $12 to $15 for just the collet die?????
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Silverfox, Thanks.
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

Whistlepig and Silverfox, thank you.
204 try it you'll like it!
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

I just ordered a Lee collet neck sizing die in 204 on Friday. I had to order it directly from Lee online and had to buy the complete die set. It is much more expensive to buy from Lee directly ($35 for the set with similar sets selling at Midway for $25), but I didn't know how long it will take for other stores to start stocking them. At least the shipping was reasonable - $4.

Brian
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Hooked--Thanks for the information on the .204 Ruger Lee collet dies. I will wait until some of the online dealers have JUST the .204 Ruger collet die available. I have way too many .204 sizing dies on my shelf now. I sure don't need to buy a collet die set and get another bullet seater.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Post by trevort »

Too Builder I am in about the exact same position as you reloading wise. My flash hole deburring tool and primer pocket uniformer were ordered from Sinclair and should be sitting on the doorstep when I get home from work. I have a 204 ruger body die in the pack (redding) as well.

I already have the redding Micrometer seating die for my 204 but listening to posts along the lines of what Silverfox just said I have a 7-08 Forster seater in the package too!

I have a standard Redding neck die. My brass has been fired 5 times and getting near the stage when I can tell myself it is ok to chuck it out and buy Norma brass. Would any of you think the Lee Collet die would give any advantage to me over the standard neck sizer (assuming I dont buy bushing neck die)
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Post by trevort »

and I am sure experienced people can do it properly, but in our local gun guru's manual he says dont neck size in a FL die. If you want to neck size use a neck size die. Now on this site Silverfox qualifies as a guru so to me thats two gurus saying get a neck sizer!