Berger load manual question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Berger load manual question

Post by TEXAS222 »

I've got a question I hope someone will answer for me regarding the Berger loading manual. I use the Lee book when reloading with Hodgdon powders because it's the same as Hodgdon's data. I've noticed some of the starting loads for H powder in the Lee book are almost the max load in the Berger manual. Can you give me an answer why? It kind of gives me the jitters not knowing who to go with. Thanks, Jim D.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Berger load manual question

Post by Bill K »

In simple terms it is because each company and it's labs have basically the same test rifles or pressure guns and test. Each is going to be somewhat different with most of them. You just have to watch and if you are uncomfortable with some, err on the lower side and work up with your rifle. Also consider what bullet each is showing in their test or start/max load with any given powder. Barnes, Berger and some Nosler's will always, or most always, show higher pressure, so start on the low side with them and work up slow. Be safe and sane. Bill K
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Re: Berger load manual question

Post by Darkker »

VERY few people actually do their own pressure testing, or have done it in some time. The resellers, like Hodgdon, happily provide info that most will re-print. Unless you are THE guy who got a production rifle with a: SAAMI min spec chamber, groove, bore rifle; you will NOT have higher velocities than book, short of higher pressures (or a darn long barrel).

If YOU want to know what your pressure is, in your rifle, call RSI and buy a pressure trace. Otherwise you won't know. Hodgy doesn't give nominal anything about their powders, and posted data doesn't list lot numbers; so you may not be shooting the same creature.

As an example, met with MZ5 this winter and tested some Creed loads against book data.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.