204 DIE CHOICE & NECK SIZING QUESTIONS

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

204 DIE CHOICE & NECK SIZING QUESTIONS

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hello 204 fans. I have a few questions I'd like to hear answers/opinions about. I have 2 204's, one a custom AR with Shilen match barrel & the other a newly acquired brand new Remington VS SF I. The dies I have now are a set of Lee collet dies, a Forster FL sizing die, & a Lee factory crimp die, Sinclair decapping & Sinclair expander dies. I have been loading for the AR & FL resizing & crimping for it but want to neck size my fired brass for the VSSF. I use Norma brass. My question before I make a purchase is what dies do you prefer for neck sizing, Redding bushing, Wilson, etc. Also how do you guys like to set up your dies for neck & FL resizing. I also have Wilson case gauge & a set of Redding competition shell holders. Sorry for all the questions but I'm still trying to learn more to load safe and better. Thanks for all or any help. Jim D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 204 DIE CHOICE & NECK SIZING QUESTIONS

Post by Rick in Oregon »

PM sent.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jepp2
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Phoenix, Rem 700 VLS, Rem 700 VS SF II

Post by jepp2 »

My question before I make a purchase is what dies do you prefer for neck sizing
My experience is that you get the best accuracy from full length sizing. My practice is to use a Redding body die and set the shoulder back
0.001 -0.002", then use a Lee collet die to size the neck. I get better neck straightness using the collet die vs. Redding busing dies. My second option is to use a Redding FL sizing die and hone the neck of the die to minimize the undersize of the case neck. I also use the carbide expander and lube the inside of the case neck. By reducing the amount the expander has to enlarge, you greatly reduce the tendency to pull the neck off axis as the expander exists the case. Setting your expander high also leaves the case better supported while it goes through the case neck. I am really using the expander to smooth out any irregularities in the interior of the case neck.

This setup allows me to keep the case neck runout around 0.001" TIR. Starting with a straight case neck is really important to low bullet runout.

This assumes you are using brass with similar neck thickness. It also assume you anneal your case necks as required.
NRA Benefactor Life member
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Not sure what information Rick passed along in his PM but, rest assured, it's worth serious consideration.

Not trying to be a suck-up. Just stating what I believe...