Varmageddon 32 gr charge question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Simomac
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka t3 hunter stainless

Varmageddon 32 gr charge question

Post by Simomac »

Hi all, just wondering..... I am currently using 32 gr sbk's in rem brass and rem 7 1/2 br primers with h322 powder . The load data states 25.5-27.5 grs for this load. My pet load is a bit over max but was worked up carefully in .1 gr increments and ive used hundreds of them with no problems.However I am keen on trying some 32 gr varmageddon FB projectiles using the same combo and see what I come up with. However nosler lists a max charge of 25.5 gr h322 for the 32 grainers in a .204, does anyone know why this max charge is so low? Has anyone loaded these bullets using h322 behind. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Re: Varmageddon 32 gr charge question

Post by Darkker »

Bearing surface differences, and powder lot differences. There is a very real reason why we are told to drop 10% and rework loads when switching lots.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Simomac

Post by Simomac »

I am using the same poser batch, just swapping projectiles. I will still be using a 32 gr. just wondering why the powder charge has to drop so much to change to the varmageddon 32 gr in place of a sbk 32 gr
Simomac

Post by Simomac »

That should read 'powder'
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I agree with Darkker. Remember, anytime you change a component, including bullets of the same weight, to be completely safe, reduce your powder charge by 10% or so and start working your loads back up to where you want them. Be careful and let us know what you decide to do.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

+ One for what the above posters advised.

Just because two bullets from different makers weigh the same, does not ensure they ARE the same, and for more reasons than stated. Jacket alloy composition and lead hardness comes into play in addition to barrel condition among other factors.

Take the advice you asked for; it's good advice. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Simomac

Post by Simomac »

Thanks for the advice, I will tread carefully and start below the max and work up toward it and see how I go. Have any of you used the varmageddon projectiles? Do you rate them?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Simomac wrote:Thanks for the advice, I will tread carefully and start below the max and work up toward it and see how I go. Have any of you used the varmageddon projectiles? Do you rate them?
As others mentioned, watch your loads and adjust. As for the Varmegeddon bullets. they rate right up there with the V-Max, Sierra BK's and that style/type. They shoot well for me, as the others do also. Bill K :)
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

Another good reason to have reloading manuals from different bullet and powder mfgs.

I shot 600 rounds of the varmageddon FBHP through my 204 and 20 vt last year and was very pleased with their performance.
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world