NEW BRASS PREP.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
ALP
.204 Ruger Guns: rem.700

NEW BRASS PREP.

Post by ALP »

Hi guys,just ordered some Norma brass.Do I need to prep it first or can I just go ahead and and start loading.Looking to get the best accuracy I can get.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: NEW BRASS PREP.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Norma brass is pretty much ready to load, but you will of course need to at least neck size it to ensure consistent bullet tension. I always do a full prep on it anyway, usually finding primer pockets running about .002" shallow, and the flash holes sometimes still need the uniformer, depends on the case lot. I always chamfer the case neck using a VlD tool also; makes bullet seating much easier, and reduces any micro burrs left by the standard 45* tools that can usually be seen under 10X magnification.

With both Norma and Lapua flash holes being drilled vs. punched like our domestic stuff, not much is usually required in that area.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Re: NEW BRASS PREP.

Post by Tokimini »

I just got some Norma brass from Brownell's and measured and inspected a sampling very thoroughly. Case length and case mouth ID were all exactly the same and every case mouth was chamfered. This brass is definitely of higher quality than Win, Rem or that junk that starts with "H".
Like Rick said the primer pockets are about .002" shallower than other brass but I primed some with CCI BR4s and they were all just below the case base. I think they're ready to go so I just going to load them up. It will be interesting to see if my groups shrink.