Noob question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
2002silverex
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar

Noob question

Post by 2002silverex »

I'm still really new to reloading.

I've got the hornady lock n load kit.

I've
Worked up a good load using my once fired brass.

I just purchased 200 norma brand new 204 brass.
I've got probably a silly question... Do I have to neck size this brass before I load it or is it ready to load seeing its brand new? Don't be to hard on me I've never reloaded with brand new brass.

Thanks in advance.

Tyler
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Noob question

Post by Bill K »

You should run it through your F/L die first, then after that, when fired in your rifle, try to do the neck size only procedure. Bill K :)
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Would not hurt to size it, sometimes the necks get knocked out of round in shipping. However, if they look good try pushing a bullet in by hand to check tension.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

You shouldn't need to, but if the necks aren't perfectly round then you may have to. Buy a neck sizing only die. Mine is from Lee.
K = ½mv2
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I have loaded hundreds of new brass without running them through any type of die.Just prep the brass,ie flash hole,primer pocket,I usually champher the inside of the neck,Prime,powder and seat the bullet.You should have enough tention. After the first fireing,is when I clean,use a neck sizing die,uniform primer pocket(cleans& uniforms),trim all cases light cut,just to uniform them,deburr and champher.prime and load.
2002silverex

Post by 2002silverex »

I do have a neck sizing die. That is the method I have been using to re size my factory ammo when reloading once fired rounds.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

FWIW, I'll chime in here.

I'd recommend just taking your brand new brass and detail it (uniform primer pocket, deburr flash hole, deburr/chamfer neck), then just neck size it only. Chances are the stuff will drop right into your chamber right out of the bag, but a proper neck size first will uniform the neck and take out any out-of-round, and make more consistent neck tension over all 100 pcs. All you really need to do is have the new case properly grip the bullet.

If you F/L size your brass out of the bag, you're over working it, and if you don't do anything, you have case necks that will be dinged, out of round, burred, and complete loss of uniform neck tension that will not aid accuracy or consistency one iota.

For the F/L size first crowd, consider this: If a brass case will drop right into your chamber right out of the bag, why in the world would you "need" to full-length size it prior to firing? :chin: (That one has always amused me. ;) )

But really silverex.....everyone is a newbie at virtually everything sometime in their lives, no harm in asking questions. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

My suggestion would be to read RIO's post carefully and follow his suggestions as close as you can. Thats what I started doing when I got my 204 years ago. I bought brand new RP brass when I started. I prepped all of that brass, some 800 pieces, according to Ricks suggestions. I have never FL sized any of this brass. My FL die for the 204 has never been used! I have reloaded and fired this brass, some of it up to 6 firings so far with absolutely no problems. I only neck size, Lee collet neck die, and when they become somewhat hard to chamber, I do have and use a Redding bump die for the shoulder.

As Rick stated;
Rick in Oregon wrote:For the F/L size first crowd, consider this: If a brass case will drop right into your chamber right out of the bag, why in the world would you "need" to full-length size it prior to firing? :chin: (That one has always amused me. ;) )
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
2002silverex

Post by 2002silverex »

Thanks guys! That's what ill do.