40 gr nosler ballistic tip results

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
WesternNC204
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore 26" .204

40 gr nosler ballistic tip results

Post by WesternNC204 »

Just wondering if anyone is loading this in their .204. I've recently purchased a bbl for my encore and with the 1-12 twist I planned on trying these as well as some berger bullets for coyotes. The .22 hornet was getting too expensive to load up and I've heard some great stuff on the .204. Thanks for the help.

Scott
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 40 gr nosler ballistic tip results

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Not sure how you'll save any money loading the 204 over the Hornet, but I'll wager the 204 will be a much better round for your coyotes.

I shoot the Nosler 40gr BT in five of my 20 cal rifles, not much to show in the way of paper, as most of my shooting is at hair, but here's a target shot during my load workup in one of mine (the flyer was caused by.......me ):

You'll also want to try the 39gr SBK....usually the most accurate 'heavy' bullet in most 12-twist 204's, and good for coyotes to boot.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Holy cow RIO, can't believe you would let anyone see that flyer LOLOLOL
Nice group!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Post by brokeasajoke »

I had pretty good luck with nosler 40s over 4895 but never tried to develop a load for that bullet. Broke my barrel in and done my sight in with them. Worst group i got was around .75 best at about .25. Unfortunatly i lost that info i had for them from 6yrs ago (just started back handloading) and cant revisit that load to change seating depth. I do remember it was a slower load.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Nosler BT's and Bergers are some of the more pricey bullets, if cheap is your game try No-Name-Noslers; Pronounced Varmint Nightmares from Midsouthshooterssupply.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
WesternNC204
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore 26" .204

Post by WesternNC204 »

Thanks for the great information. The .22 hornet brass is getting too expensive and I can get factory stuff in the .203 much cheaper than the hornet loads. I'm probably going to go with the bergers but I haven't loaded any flat base bullets in quite a long time. I've got two boxes of winchester ballistic silvertips to shoot as well as the rest of the 40 grn remington accutips but I prefer the winchester brass over the remington but that's just my opinion.

Scott