Primers Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
majcl5

Re: Primers Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by majcl5 »

I have been thinking of switching 2 450's. I normally shoot BR-4's but i emailed cci and they replied that the br-4's are going thru engineering and will be back. I tried the 400's in my sons new rem 700 vlss .204 but when i got near max(which was far more accurate) they started blowing holes thru the back of the primmers. The 450's have thicker cup than the 400's. So i hope i can find them before next year.
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

majcl5 wrote:I have been thinking of switching 2 450's. I normally shoot BR-4's but i emailed cci and they replied that the br-4's are going thru engineering and will be back. I tried the 400's in my sons new rem 700 vlss .204 but when i got near max(which was far more accurate) they started blowing holes thru the back of the primmers. The 450's have thicker cup than the 400's. So i hope i can find them before next year.
On some of the competitive froums I visit I've heard good things about Wolf SR mag primers, very consistent. Theres also MAGTECH but I've never tried them.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I have never worried about it until recently. I always just got my BR-4's at bi-mart or sportsmans locally. I my have to switch it up for the next season , i have 1600 all loaded i will have to see were that gets me this year hopfully its good enough season i have to conserve. I hope to make 3 long weekend trips.
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

majcl5 wrote:I have never worried about it until recently. I always just got my BR-4's at bi-mart or sportsmans locally. I my have to switch it up for the next season , i have 1600 all loaded i will have to see were that gets me this year hopfully its good enough season i have to conserve. I hope to make 3 long weekend trips.
Not sure where in OR you're located but what I've seen in areas where places like Sportsman Warehouse are located is they have driven the small folks out or, they don't carry a stock on hand anymore. My experience with Sportsmans Warehouse is that they have a centralized ordering system and when the new stock it shows up, they show up. I'd take a good hard look online or because they're out there but its hit-and-miss finding them. Also, if you know of any small outfits around you strike some good luck there. If you have some others in your neck of the woods who need powder/primers do a bulk order and split the HAZMAT fee's.

For me, I just stumbled onto Remington Primers years ago during the primer shortage of 1993/94 time frame because prior to that I always used Winchester and CCI. In fact, even when primers were plentiful it was difficult to find Remington 7 1/2's while Winchester, CCI and Federal were everywhere.

Good luck!
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I live in Outside Oregon City. Sportmans Is one of the worst ran Business i have ever came across. The help is terriable, i know the store better than there help. No one knows what is coming in (Centrlized ordering like you pointed out) you have to call after they get there shippment in to see what they got. The only reson i go is because they have a lot of stuff and they are close. Fishermans is much better ran but they dont have as much variety. Do you like the Remington 7 1/2 as well as others?
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

maj: If you look at the match results equipment lists from the BR local, regional and national shoots, you'll see primarily two primers listed: the Rem 7-1/2 and the Fed 205M if that tells you anything. These are my two mainstay primers for all my target-varmint rifle precison handloads. The CCI BR-4 is also a top contender, but not available at present due to engineering issues regarding ignition.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I may have to give them a try
Rem 700 VLSS .204