Primer of Choice?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Primer of Choice?

Post by futuretrades »

btlbrn wrote:What powder and bullet were you using?............Yea Rem 71/2 for me too.. :eek:
btlbrn, I was shooting my 223, load was 40 gr Vmax over 27.5 grs H335 w/WSR primers, which is almost 2 full grains below my listed max load. As I said, temps were very warm, pushin 90 degrees. I was working up loads, so I was in the heat for a couple hours shooting 5 shot groups. This load was second to last load I was testing, and the highest powder charge. 2nd shot my buddy said there was smoke coming out of the bolt! :eek: and extraction was getting a lot harder. I did finish shooting this load, 3 more rounds and each time the same thing happened. Before I started shooting my last loads for the day, we examined the primers and noticed the 5 all had pierced primers and very flattened. What I had not considered was the heat building up in my test loads and the fact that H335 is not 1 of Hodgdons extreme powders. I still shoot a lot in to late spring and early summer in temps sometimes over 100 degrees, But I do keep my ammo in an ice chest until ready to shoot. This I learned from experience. Different primers may not have pierced, but my guess is that any other primer would not have made the situation any better or safer!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Rem 7.5 BR all the time, and I've got a 5K stash of BR4 on a back shelf, just in case. :roll:
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Rem 7 1/2 and I've tried about everything and they are the best for me (204 & 223).
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

Rem 7 1/2
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

WSR's. They work well in several of the Family rifles. Plus it keeps the inventory a little simpler for my Brother who reloads for a couple of us.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Post by Grayfox »

For accurate bolt action rifles I use Federal GM205M. CCI 400 for blasting ammo.

For AR15's Remington 7 1/2 match primers or CCI 450 mag for accurate loads. Do NOT use Federal GM205M in an AR15. Well you can if you want to destroy your fireing pin. The fireing pin is .008" smaller in diameter than bolt action rifles. Because of this smaller tip it will pierce the thin primer cup of the GM205M. I now have two firing pins destroyed by these primers.

Greyfox
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Rem 7.5
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
nocturnalnasty
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS AR-15

Post by nocturnalnasty »

Predator1
I use several different brands of primers. Probably my overall favorite is the CCI BR2's and BR4's. My 204 is a DPMS 24" AR15, and I have a load for the 32 grain SMK's with H4895 and another with 35 grain Bergers and H322. Both loads are well below 1/2 MOA at 100 yards and I use Winchester small rifle primers for both loads. I have not had any issues with the cups and consistancy has been very good.
Hope that helps you.
John
WJN
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS

Post by WJN »

Hi guys! I have seen a number of forum discussions about Remington 700's having issues with primer cratering. Some say Remington's response to inquiries it that they design for this cratering.

Any of you guys have knowledge of this or what this brings to finding the right primer discussion. I am scratching my head because my local shop sold me a full box of CCI 400 to load the .204 and I have a Rem 700 VLS. I am loading minimum loads for my first load experiments so I am not overly worried but very interested in the discussion.

Jim
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

WJN wrote:Hi guys! I have seen a number of forum discussions about Remington 700's having issues with primer cratering. Some say Remington's response to inquiries it that they design for this cratering.

Jim
Jim, I called Remington when I noticed the the same happening with my 700 on both factory rounds and my own loads. What I was told was a few years ago 700s started having trouble with thicker walled primers. To correct this they started putting a bevel on the firing pin which fixed the problem but resulted in cratered primers. They say it's perfectly normal and not a problem. Of course, Remington also says they don't have a problem with slam fires on unadjusted 700 triggers and I know from personal experience that that is pure BS.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

FWIW, both GreTan and BAT Machine both do an outstanding job of bushing M700 bolts and fitting to the firing pin.

If you really want to set up that M700, check out the complete striker replacement in titanium or stainless from Hollands Shooting Supply. No binding coil mainspring, no silly bolt lock, and a better looking bolt shroud to boot.

http://hollandguns.com/

Lousy pic, but compare this assembly to what you see when you take down your bolt:

No bound-up ill-fitting spring, no rough-finished heavy firing pin or oversize bolt shroud..... just a sweet custom-fitted assembly that will also decrease lock-time on the inside, and look better on the outside. One of the many things you can do to a M700 that the factory could and should do, but won't for reasons we're all aware of ($). With a good trigger and one of these replacements, a M700 takes on an entirely new personality. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WJN

Post by WJN »

Rick in Oregon wrote:FWIW, both GreTan and BAT Machine both do an outstanding job of bushing M700 bolts and fitting to the firing pin.

If you really want to set up that M700, check out the complete striker replacement in titanium or stainless from Hollands Shooting Supply. No binding coil mainspring, no silly bolt lock, and a better looking bolt shroud to boot.

http://hollandguns.com/

Lousy pic, but compare this assembly to what you see when you take down your bolt:

No bound-up ill-fitting spring, no rough-finished heavy firing pin or oversize bolt shroud..... just a sweet custom-fitted assembly that will also decrease lock-time on the inside, and look better on the outside. One of the many things you can do to a M700 that the factory could and should do, but won't for reasons we're all aware of ($). With a good trigger and one of these replacements, a M700 takes on an entirely new personality. :D
Thanks for the info Rick. I pulled mine out and I am looking at the two but to this untrained eye I don't see a lot of difference in the pin assembly. Again, I have no idea what I am looking at however. The only thing I notice on mine is the spring does look very slightly wonky (for lack of a better term) as it goes down the shaft.

I looked at the website and I am not totally sure what parts are being replaced or is it the whole pin assembly? If you don't mind walking me through the pieces parts on the website list that would sure be helpful. May as well deal with this stuff while I am in the holiday spending mood I guess. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

WJN: You can buy it as a replacement assembly or each part separate. I recommend the assembly; easy to install, BIG difference. You just remove the entire factory unit, drop in the Holland unit, and wah-lah, you're done. Even with the factory trigger, you'll notice the difference.

Debi, the gal that will probably answer the phone can help you get set up. Before ordering, cruise Darrell's website, as there's some very cool accuracy stuff for M700's you didn't even know you "needed". ;) Darrell has built some rifles for me, and they are the absolute most accurate guns in my safe, and demonstrate about the best quality work I've ever seen anywhere.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WJN

Post by WJN »

I have read that Remington has gone to a spring that isn't what they called snakey. Here is a photo I just took of my pin assembly. I am wondering if I just need an oversized pin or the whole deal. Either way I'll call those guys. I am still wondering regardless of the spring assembly if I need to also can the CCI 400 primers and go to CCI 450s?

Thanks again!

Jim
204foxguy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by 204foxguy »

Thanks Everyone! GaCop, i will stay below the Max Loads, tks