Scales...Whats are we using?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Scales...Whats are we using?

Post by Wrangler John »

Guys, I've been using an Ohaus 10-0-5 balance beam scale I purchased sometime around 1980, can't remember really. It seems to have been around forever. Earlier this year I purchased a new R.C.B.S 1010 scale (also by Ohaus) just because the old one was looking ratty (the check weights still prove it to be accurate). It 's only used to adjust one of several powder measures, most commonly a Redding Precision Measure from the mid-1980's. I just write down the number on the micrometer handle for a corresponding load so I can repeat it, check weight on the scale, and within seconds I'm tossing charges.

Now if anybody can claim one of those electronic gadgets will last 30 or more years, while remaining accurate as day one - let me know. Some things, such as the toilet seat, just can't be improved.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Wrangler John, I'm in complete agreement with you. It may be irrational but, I just cannot muster up the same amount of trust for an electronic scale that I have for my Ohaus. It's a good thing thing they make both so we can all be happy!
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

RCBS 10-10... But I have to be very finicky:

1) throw a slightly light charge into the pan
2) gently bottom-out the beam
3) trickle up as the beam (pointer) makes its last rising motion
4) if the beam doesn't rise and stop precisesly without over-shooting, I dump the pan back into the measure and start again
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Predator1 »

Been using a beam scale from Dillon for 12 yrs now w/o a prob. You know, I always thought I might get a digi but after reading this post I'm liking my beam scale.
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Post by Lead Lobber »

Chargemaster is my choice..... I wish I had 3 of them to keep the pace of loading. It is faster than manual scales by far and just as accurate in my opinion. But will not last forever like the ol' manual scale.
Mark C
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Mark C »

I use a My Weigh Gem Pro 500, very easy to read & accuate cost here in the UK £167.00 including postage. Did have the small RCBS model but during loading the readings would vary & the return to zero was very hit & miss.

Regards Mark
merdit
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 4x4

Post by merdit »

Gempro 250 for me. Accurate to .02 grain. I was looking for a good scale at a decent price. Did a BUNCH of searching reloading forums. One guy has had his for a couple decades and it is still spot on. Lifetime warranty honored in 48 hours. Just for fun I loaded a few rounds weighing every component. 5 loaded rounds with extreme weight spread of .04 grains. Can be had for under $170 shipped.

They are made for weighing gems (hence the name) which I suppose people are fairly particular about.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'll throw in here too......FWIW, I agree completely with Wranger John, use the same method, and have for the 42 years I've been handloading; throw light from the measure (Redding BR-30), then trickle up to charge weight.

Nothing fancy, just a bunch of clutter with a totally reliable beam scale doing the work:

I've got a Dillon digital scale, but it usually sits with a dust cover over it while I'm loading (left of the BR-30 with the white cover over it)....just a PITA to keep zeroing constantly. I'll take my trusty Ohaus beam scale thank you; I just don't trust something I have to continually dink about with. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

lmao :lol: rick i have just seen your bench . in england i am limited to 250 bullets in my posesion for the 204.i will show the wife it should stop her moaning.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

zx10mike wrote:lmao :lol: rick i have just seen your bench . in england i am limited to 250 bullets in my posesion for the 204.i will show the wife it should stop her moaning.

:D LOL

My wife is from England, and she moans about all my bullets. But at least she likes shooting guns

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

It won't be too long until our state of California adopts the completely rediculous rules on bullets as England has. Already can't buy ammo over the Internet and have to account for ammo purchases. It'll happen.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Trent wrote:Already can't buy ammo over the Internet and have to account for ammo purchases. It'll happen.
Trent, What part of Kalifornia you from? As far as I know, and where I am, Those laws were voted down. But with "moonbeam' in office, anything can happen!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

Rick in Oregon wrote:I'll throw in here too......FWIW, I agree completely with Wranger John, use the same method, and have for the 42 years I've been handloading; throw light from the measure (Redding BR-30), then trickle up to charge weight.

Nothing fancy, just a bunch of clutter with a totally reliable beam scale doing the work:

I've got a Dillon digital scale, but it usually sits with a dust cover over it while I'm loading (left of the BR-30 with the white cover over it)....just a PITA to keep zeroing constantly. I'll take my trusty Ohaus beam scale thank you; I just don't trust something I have to continually dink about with. JMO
Rick,
Really, a mickey mouse clock??? lmao :eek: GREAT SET UP :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
shotgunred50
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 sales AR-15 .204

Post by shotgunred50 »

I have a lyman dps3 dispenser/scale and it works great on anything from .204 to .500 mag to .30-06. So far I have no complaints with it. Accurate and fast.