Sound Right?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
MDHogHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model Seven

Re: Sound Right?

Post by MDHogHunter »

These 32SBK's over 26.1gr of RE10x seem like the best for my 204.

With groundhogs starting to peek out, and spring coming quick, I have decided to go ahead and make this the go-to load.

So far, I've been using Remington 7 1/2BR Primers and a COL of 2.250

I'd like to go into mass production mode and load them up for the season, but...

Would it be worth trying a different primer, and maybe changing the COL to say 2.240? Is there any reason this would improve accuracy?
sportnclays
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber, remington, CZ, Ruger

Re: Sound Right?

Post by sportnclays »

MD, If you research, you will find Silverfox had several good recommendations as far as primers went. Rem 7 1/2s i believe have a thicker cup, which can play an important ro;e in your combo for the 204.

As always, each individual gun has its own preference. I shot the 35 Bergers early on and they grouped well but did not perform on coyotes & hogs as I wanted. I did go to 39 blitz kings with better results in KO and groups.

The one thing I have noticed in this line of posts is how low most of your velocities are for a cartridge that was designed for 4000 fps or more w 32s and 3800 to 3900 w 40s.

I have shot 29.0 gr of H4895 with no signs of pressure in my Kimber, however I settled on 28.6 gr of H4895 w/39 BK's@ 3896 fps. this combo is not fur friendly, but hides are worthless down here in TX anyway. Also head shot with the 39 gr on hogs are deadly out to 300 yards, as I have shot over 200 coyotes/hogs inthe last 3 years ,with this combo I feel safe in suggesting you try it. I have not had as good accuracy w/Feds or CCI primers as w/ the REM 7 1/2s. Could be rifle preference. But I would not give up on the Rem without trying some hotter loads, all precautions taken of course.

Jay B