New reamer design for the 204

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: New reamer design for the 204

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim White wrote:Rick...is that something Pac-Nor normally does or is it something you have to ask for (chamber gage)? I like it the thought of it myself.
Jim - I always ask for the chamber guage weather they use one of my reamers or one they have in stock. Not sure if they'll supply it without asking, but it seems it would pay off to have it included when the barrel is ordered. It's a small thing to just chuck-up the cut off barrel stub and chamber it with the reamer used for the chamber in your barrel.

These chamber guages sure save a bunch of dinking about when it comes to loaded round overall neck thickness, seating depth, etc. A valuable little chunk of steel for certain, and worth asking for. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Rick -

Thanks for the info. I'm seriously considering going your route when it comes time to change barrels.

A question comes to mind. You shortened the leade on your chamber. If I understand correctly, the long leade in factory chambers was designed to get higher velocities without pressure problems. Have you been able to achieve this with your chamber dimensions?
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hedge: My goal was for peak accuracy from a 204 Ruger, along with 'acceptable' varmint pureeing velocity using the higher B.C. 40gr bullets for extended range; not necessarily higher velocity. I've never tried to reach the factory claimed 4,225 fps using the 32 grainers, but built the rifle primarily for the 39gr SBK and both the Nosler and Hornady 40's. I wanted to see how a properly chambered 204 would shoot if chambered like "normal" varmint and BR rifles without the rediculous freebore. While I was at it, I figured tightening up the sloppy SAAMI chamber would not hurt either.

During testing, my velocities with the 39SBK & the 40's in the PN 11-twist ran 3,960 to 3,980 fps with decent varmint accuracy, so I'd say I reached my goal. However my 'accuracy load' using the 40gr NBT at .008" off the lands, 10X and Fed 205M's shoots bugholes, and clocks 3,708 fps. Still plenty fast enough for work out at 600 with literally pinpoint accuracy.

With this chamber setup the gun usually shoots one hole on paper at 100 (usually in the .2's), tight enough on paper at 200 and 300 to hit a PD or squirrel peaking over his mound and seeing only his eyes and black nose. I've launched squirrels in the alfalfa patch past 500 yards, but still have not broke the 600 yard mark just yet with this rifle (The Silver Princess of Death)......the dang things won't sit still long enough, as they actually have time to move just enough at that range from sear-break to impact, to cause a miss when the cross-hairs were 'dead-on' until they twitched just enough. These are twitchy critters that only sit still when they're standing up on their hind feet like a PD.

"SPOD" as she's referred to, on the bench cooling her barrel before the next onslaught against Skippy and his pals (the scope now wears Lupy Alumina alloy flip caps):

Next spring however, I'll correct this 600 yard deficiency. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Rick -

Thanks! That's the answer I was hoping for. Like you, I'm not interested in getting light speed out of the .204. Just achieving the trajectory and accuracy potential of this great cartridge.

Your velocities are running about the same as mine (3728 fps) with 40 grainers and I've been hitting coyote sized steel at 540 yds, consistently with minor elevation adjustment. So, I've been pleased with the velocity/trajectory. Now, I'm wanting to see how tight I can get her to shoot at 600 yds.

Nice looking thunder stick you have there. :yeah: 24" barrel?
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hedge wrote:Nice looking thunder stick you have there. :yeah: 24" barrel?
Hedge - Thanks, she's a keeper for sure. Yep, it's a P/N SS Super Match 3-groove 11-twist cut at 24".
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA