Question about brass

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Question about brass

Post by Hotshot »

ray,

Seems to me full length resizing would help the cartridge go into the chamber. If you have trouble ejecting after firing there must be too much pressure.
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

when I full length resize, I have no problem ejecting the case. If I don't it gets sticky after 1 or 2 firings.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: The others are correct, and I think you'd be well advised to drop that charge a tad. I've done much research on this subject, as I like 'em hot too. I also hate prepping brass, and after spending a whole bunch of time detailing 100 cases from a full bag of bulk brass, they are like little jewels to me, and the thought of losing one in the grass, or from a loose primer pocket makes me cringe.

I've got Ken Waters most excellent book "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges", and have had conversations with him on this subject, as well as the guys in the lab at Nosler (one of my best friends used to be their chief engineer), and all agree that a case head expansion in excess of more than .0005" is excessive. This means that anything over that amount is approaching a dangerous load, as the brass is being stressed excessively. You can also be in danger of setting back the bolt lugs, and repeated firings can actually shear them from the bolt; not good.

I'm a fan of high velocity, hence my penchant for Ackley Improved calibers, but the rule stated above holds true for all rifle handloads that we'd all be well advised to keep in mind. The thought of a bolt shearing off the lugs and traveling through one's skull is not a pleasant picture in the minds eye. :shock:

The up-side of dropping those hot loads a bit is extended barrel life; something we all want, especially in a pet rifle that shoots bug-holes on paper, and is a favorite for launching Skippy right out of his hole at 400 yards! :lol: Really though, no rat on the planet is going to know the difference of 100 fps either way...... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

rayfromtx

I have a load using Benchmark that duplicates the velocity I get with VV N-133. 24.3 gr of VV N-133 and 26.8 gr of Benchmark both get about 3900 fps. Maybe you should try a slower burning powder that gets the same velocity. Benchmark fills the case better and is easy to clean. Just a suggestion.

Hey, whe are we going to go shooting together???
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Ray

Unless my memory fails me which happens more and more often lately, You have a zero freebore chamber much like Skippers. You two can definately compare notes. Load data from the rest of us with large freebores is just not the same.

FWIW I'm amazed you haven't run into trouble yet. Pushing a jammed 40 Berg at 3960 with N-133 is asking for it. I wouldn't want to attempt it with a normal chamber much less jammed.
I'll admit I've pushed them faster with the slower burning N-135 and also learned my lesson well. Its just not worth it. You never know when one of those case heads will just quit.
I found out the hard way :oops:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

A lot of good info here. I have to agree with Silverfox. The best deal is to start with a good number of the same lot of brass and do all the prep as Rick points out. Stay with a reasonable load and the brass will last for a good while. I have seven reloadings on my original lot of WW. I have had a few loose primmer pockets, maybe four or five out of 600.
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

I appreciate all of ya'lls input. I'm gonna try a lighter load on Saturday. I think I'll try benchmark too as it worked well with the 35 bergers. Arnold Jewell has been trying to get me to slow it down for a couple of months now but I'm stubborn I guess. We're supposed to spend all day shooting here at the house. It might rain but if it does, we'll just shoot off the porch. If it rains, we won't need to put out flags, so it's almost worth the wetness. I'm gonna swap out the barrel on my benchrest gun also and try to get me some 1s. I just prepped up 200 new pcs of brass to play with this weekend. I still plan to shoot the 200 hot loads I have made up but I'll save them for cold weather.

I guess I just got spoiled by cramming my 6ppc full of 133 until the load was compressed and have it shoot 1s and 2s and shoot the same brass for 20+ times without even seeming to get old. After 20+ I set them aside for a trip to the pd fields when I plan to take all my good rifles. I figure that brass could shoot 50+ with hot loads and no problems but the neck tension just starts to get inconsistent.

jo- Your memory is perfect.

skipper- I'm looking forward to it sir.

Rick- thanks for your concern.

original poster- sorry for getting the thread off track.
Tommy Longspurs
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by Tommy Longspurs »

rayfromtx wrote:original poster- sorry for getting the thread off track.
Carry on, im here to learn
CZ 527 Varmint Walnut, Nikon Buckmasters BDC 6x18x40
Federal 39g BlitzKing