20 cal bullet pullers

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Re: 20 cal bullet pullers

Post by Tokimini »

Is there a trick to using the impact style pullers? I got a RCBS puller to disassemble some 204 rounds loaded for my old barrel. I put a round in and beat on a plank for at least 10 minutes, until the wood literally splintered and the bullet stayed put. I tried several different rounds with the same result. I even seated one a few thousands deeper to break any seal, still nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Tokimini on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tokimini wrote:Is there a trick to using the impact style pullers? I got a RCBS puller to dissemble some 204 rounds loaded for my old barrel. I put a round in and beat on a plank for at least 10 minutes, until the wood literally splintered and the bullet stayed put. I tried several different rounds with the same result. I even seated one a few thousands deeper to break any seal, still nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Tok, sounds like you're not doing anything wrong, just dealing with some very tight neck tension. Probably a combination of older ammo, carbon in the case neck and more than .004" of neck tension. You may have exceeded the capability of the inertia type puller and need to resort to a collet type puller to unload that ammo. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Tok, I had the same problem when pulling 32gr pills. The 2x4 I was using was not even good fire wood after I was done. I finally went out in my back yard where there is a rock wall, and I could pull a bullet in about 10 smacks. I know this is not recommended with an inertia type puller, but my sanity is more important to me than a bullet puller! I found a flat rock outside and now it sits in my loading room. Weighs about 5 lbs. and works really well pulling bullets with my inertia puller. I have a Hornady collet bullet puller, but I could never get it to work on the .20 bullets. JME
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

futuretrades wrote: I finally went out in my back yard where there is a rock wall, and I could pull a bullet in about 10 smacks. I know this is not recommended with an inertia type puller, but my sanity is more important to me than a bullet puller! JME
I was thinking about using the anvil part of my machinist vise but was worried about the round going off. Would that be a possibility? I don't really care now if I break the puller since I can't get it to work properly anyway.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tok, when I use my inertia puller, I place a piece of oak hardwood over the corner of my steel workbench = solid as Kevin's rock. I've been able to even pull 20 grain .17 caliber bullets from my Mach IV cases, and they don't have squat in the way of inertia.

Maybe you just need something more solid/stable other than a 2x4......worth a try? Those things are purty hard to destroy.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

Thanks for the replies guys. I try beating on my vise anvil and hope for the best.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

The kinetics save the bullet but what is it doing to your powder if it takes 10 or so good whacks? Just something to ponder.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

I tried using the vise anvil. Five medium whacks and the bullet popped out as slick as you please.
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

jo191145 wrote:The kinetics save the bullet but what is it doing to your powder if it takes 10 or so good whacks? Just something to ponder.
Breaking up grains so there is more surface area and a faster burn maybe? You're right, something to ponder.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

In use to use a 2x4, 2x6 or 4x4 with knots and they seem to last the longest before finally giving out. Finally I got a piece of cutting board and just lay it on my bench & whack away when needed.

Using a kinetic puller on metal:...be careful, if that thing shattered it would go in several directions. Wear eye & ear protection.

One other thing; when striking the object with the kinetic puller, make sure it is square (vice an angle), it works better that way.