Reloading for AR 15 Platform

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
AProchnow
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 AR 15

Reloading for AR 15 Platform

Post by AProchnow »

I'm new to the forum and new to reloading. I have a DPMS .204 and just completed some test reloading rounds. I would install 5 rounds into the clip and had some trouble getting some round to chamber into the gun. I have for reloading a RCBS p/n 10301 FL Die Set. I did some reading and people talked about getting the Redding Full Length Die set. The measurements on my cases are .359 near the neck and .372 near the bottom. I notice the rounds were getting a blemish near the bottom of the case and I think I dented one case trying to remove it from the gun. I'm looking for some advice on proper reloading equipment for the .204 in an AR 15 platform. I noticed from RCBS they have AR Series Dies. for the 204 the p/n changes to 10307. Would that be all I need to get the rounds to chamber properly in my DPMS?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Reloading for AR 15 Platform

Post by Bill K »

Think you will find you need to full length resize them, but also get the small base die, so the case, at the bottom, just above the rim, is sized down. AR's need to be sized down and also trimmed to the proper length for reliable feeding into the chamber. Bill K
Highcountry
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger m77 v/t

Re: Reloading for AR 15 Platform

Post by Highcountry »

Yes, the RCBS 10307 dies set should solve your problem. I use the 11107 dies for my 42 year old Colt and have had no FTF or FTE to date. As Bill K stated, trim to length is very important to proper feeding.