What's the shortest case length?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Great White North
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3

What's the shortest case length?

Post by Great White North »

I know that Nosler brass is short, but some of mine are super short. Some of the cases are under 1.830 with the shortest 1.822

Anyone else's new brass that short?

Thanks
Curtis
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: What's the shortest case length?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Great White North wrote:I know that Nosler brass is short, but some of mine are super short. Some of the cases are under 1.830 with the shortest 1.822
Anyone else's new brass that short?
In a word...."yes". It appears the brass comes in at the correct length, then they trim it shorter for some unknown and unwarranted reason. Makes no sense whatever, and repeated attempts to ask them why go unanswered......... :chin:

It's excellent brass.....I just wish they'd leave it alone and let us deal with it properly.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Great White North

I have never loaded brass that short before. I still have to work up a load for new brass, but how short is too short? I'm wondering if the really short ones like the 1.822 case could possibly cause a dangerous high pressure situation?
Last edited by Great White North on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yeah, I know.....no reason to have the stuff that short. Just load it and shoot it, trim after fireforming to a standard common length....most likely the shortest case of the lot. :?

The drawback is escaping hot gas in front of the case causing unnecessary erosion, and the ability of the bullet to obturate prior to entering the rifling; a subject covered in excellent detail in the current Winter issue of Varmint Hunter Magazine. Call or email Nosler to let them know how you feel about their too-short brass. That's the only way this issue will ever be resolved.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Great White North

Thanks RIO. I will send Nosler an email. At least shouldn't have to trim any cases for awhile.