NEW BRASS PREP

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
ALP
.204 Ruger Guns: rem.700

NEW BRASS PREP

Post by ALP »

Hi All,just joined the forum and like all the info Im getting.I just got a rem.204 ruger and I never reloaded new brass before.I bough some Hornady brass before I started reading about most of you guys not liking it very much,oh well :( My question is,do I need to prep the new brass first.(trim,resize,chafer,etc) I checked the lenth and it appears to be consistant 1.842 Thanks for any help you can reply with
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: NEW BRASS PREP

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Welcome to the forum. At the very least i would chamfer the case mouth with a VLD chamfer tool and neck size the brass. By neck sizing the new brass you are assuring that the necks are not out of round or otherwise out of spec. There is no need to trim the brass until after you have fired it, and then only if it is longer than spec. Best of luck on your new 204 Ruger rifle and feel free to shoot us an email if you have any questions.

Brad
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Re: NEW BRASS PREP

Post by Tokimini »

I have never had a problem neck sizing new Win brass, but I have had problems with new Hornady brass. On some of the rounds it was very tough to close the bolt. I thought the shoulders might need to be bumped back so I full length resized them and they worked fine after that.
I would full length size the brass the first time then neck size after that. I'd anneal them too after the second or third firing. Hornandy brass hardens up really quickly when you work it.