40gr v max loads for a Howa?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: 40gr v max loads for a Howa?

Post by futuretrades »

I do hear ya Rick. Unfortunately for myself, I cannot afford a move north, or anywhere else for that matter. Also for a lot more reasons than I care to mention here.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

futuretrades wrote:I do hear ya Rick. Unfortunately for myself, I cannot afford a move north, or anywhere else for that matter. Also for a lot more reasons than I care to mention here.
Gotcha Kevin.......with you there, it gives us a reason to come down to visit, and have our way with Skippy anyway. :D Always good to visit someone stuck in a communist state 'cause we get to come back here. Only bummer is, when we come to visit, we all have to dis-arm ourselves of our carry pieces to be legal in that place.....the one place where you actually might NEED the thing! :?

Sorry to the OP....back on topic..... :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Lonegunnmenn
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 204 ruger

Post by Lonegunnmenn »

Ya our tax is nuts. They tax the he'll out of us and we got one bridge that fell in the darn water and another that seems like it will never be finished . I'm not sure where all the money goes
Acronin
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12FV

Post by Acronin »

Try W748. I use 28.5 gr of it under my 40gr V-Max's and they are 1/2 MOA. I shoot a savage model 12 fv which has a 1:9 twist which is advantageous. Also try Hornady custom 40gr V-Max's. they shoot almost just as good as my hand loads.

My dad just bought a Howa, in .204. He loved the round so much out of my savage that he just had to try it. So thanks for the information. I'll be using it.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

You might give BLC(2) powder a try, if you can find any. That's my favoriye powder in my .204. It gives good velocities and is accurate. I get 3/4" to 1" groups with the 40 gr. V-Max, about the same with the 39 gr. Sierra. The 32 gr. Nosler Varmageddon is super accurate in my .204, I've shot groups as small as .169 with it and BLC(2). You might also try the 35 gr. Berger, I haven't tried it yet but several guys have said that it is accurate and puts coyotes down good. I just heard this morning that Powder Valley has a pretty good selection of powders now.
Bob
Lonegunnmenn
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 204 ruger

Post by Lonegunnmenn »

Just as a update I did get the 40gr v max to shoot ok I ended up useing RL-15 29gr OAL 2.310" and it shot .96in but compaired to the 39gr with the same load wasn't even close the SBK 39gr shot .395 in so just thought I would share for any other howa owners that like the rest of us can't find Sierra bullets can still shoot something that you can find
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

thats good news i love the 39 sbk u could even im an addict i rather shoot any thing with the 204 than any other gun cheers bazz