A2230

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

A2230

Post by Tokimini »

If you haven't tried Accurate A2230 yet give it a shot. I'm getting some very nice groups with it. (This pic is for RIO and Ramos, sorry guys :) )

Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Re: A2230

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

I'am not one for jumping from one powder to another just because someone got killer groups with a different powder. That leads to having a BUNCH of different powders sitting on the shelf that you've never really found the full potential of because you never really worked it.
I starter out with AA2230 years back when I started loading for my M1A. Then the AA2330C came out and I loaded up on it at about $75.00 for a 8 pound jug. :D Went through about 50 pounds of it before they quit making it.
Back to the AA2230. Same load data between the AA2230C and the AA2230.
So far, the AA2230 has worker VERY WELL in everything I shoot. From the 20 VT up to the .308 in my M1A and beyond. Meters like water, cleans easy and isn't too temp sensitive.
I'll start loading with one powder and work with it till I can't get any more out of it. So far I've been pretty successful in the accuracy department.
Getting 5 shot groups that can be covered with a dime and a few in the ones on a pretty regular basis without too much work.
I often wonder how many reloaders have REALLY worked with one powder before they switched to something else?
And if a name like Accurate Arms means anything, it has to be good. :)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Nice.. May just give it a try, myself. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tokimini wrote:If you haven't tried Accurate A2230 yet give it a shot. I'm getting some very nice groups with it. (This pic is for RIO and Ramos, sorry guys :) )
Tokimini: Saw-weeeeet!

Nuthin' to snear at there, bud! I have a few jugs of the stuff on my shelf from a rifle trade a few years ago....haven't tried it yet as I'm getting bugholes with the powders I'm using, but after seeing your bughole, I'll be blowing some dust off those AA2230 bottles in the near future. I'm not one to "fix it if it ain't broke", but your results makes a guy want to take a second lookie-see.

Nice group! You could head-shoot a "peeker" from his mound at 300 yards with that load. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

Two nice things about A2230 I forgot to mention. It seems readily available, at least in my area and it's cheap, almost half the cost of Viht N140 which is my other favorite.
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

Nor Cal Mikie wrote:I'am not one for jumping from one powder to another just because someone got killer groups with a different powder.
That's a weakness I have. I'm a born tinkerer. I'm constantly tweaking loads and bullets trying to get the smallest groups I can. For me that keeps it fun and interesting. I get bored loading the same stuff round after round, but I think this will be my main load for a while. (Until I get the itch to try something new.)
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Ah... and the 40gn Bergers to boot!!! What a great thing!

Still looking for Hogdon Benchmark... :mad:
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

bow shot wrote:Still looking for Hogdon Benchmark... :mad:
Last time I checked at our buddies in East Rochester the guy actually chuckled when I asked about Benchmark, but that was a month or two ago.
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

I'll have to admit that getting "bug holes" can get "REAL" boring after a while when you use the same load that "always works". Nice to know I always have a load to fall back on when the norm gives you problems. Might be something other than powder that could be causing problems?
Nothing wrong with trying something different. If it wasn't for folks trying something different, life sure could get stale!
What it boils down to is use what works best for you. :wink: