Working up load need some advice

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
bigborefan
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Working up load need some advice

Post by bigborefan »

In the last few weeks I've been slowly working on finding a good load for my Savage .204. Given the current state of anything shooting related the only powder/bullet combo I have on hand is Ramshot Tac and Hornady 40gr bullets.

With factory Federal 39 SBK's I can cover 5 shots with a nickle, factory Hornady's slightly larger. I first started with a c.o.a.l of 2.250 and worked the powder up til it was close to factory vel. in .2 gr increments. I've found the powder charge that gives me good velocity but that test group and all the others are no where near what I was hoping for. One charge I would get an inch or so high left of center and the next shot slightly high. The third would almost touch the first, and fourth back next to the second. Another charge I had the first three touching and four and five touching but two inches from the first three. The brass is mixed fire formed that has had the pockets and flash holes corrected, trimmed, chamfered and deburred. Primers are cci br-4's and I'm letting the barrel cool between groups.

I know it could very well be the nut behind the gun. Tomorrow I'm going to try again just to make sure. So, any idea's? should I play with the o.a.l.?
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: Working up load need some advice

Post by Jim White »

My Remington's won't shoot a 40 grain to save my skin. But do try different primers if you can and you can try varying neck tension settings as well. But sometimes the bullet just won't fly straight out of some tubes. you can always try some 32 grainers and see how that does.

HTH
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Also, in the 204, .2 grain difference in charges can make a lot of difference. I would suggest trying .1 grain between loads. In my Howa, the only powder I found that would shoot the 40's 1/2 way decent, is H4895. Most factory 204's, because of twist, 1 in 12, just won't shoot the 40's very well. Good luck finding any reloading components at this time, to try. :wall: As far as velocity goes, personally, I would not worry about it. You need to find your most accurate load first. If you can't hit what you are shooting at, the fastest velocity possible out of your rifle, Ain't worth diddly :eek:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

You say the brass is mixed and fireformed.
If your using different brands of brass you should separate each brand and work with one brand at a time.
Its also better to full length size your cases before trimming.
bigborefan

Post by bigborefan »

My gun has never really liked the 32's but loves the 39's and 40's. Factory Horn. 40's will usually shoot around .5 in. I have tried cci small rifle, cci small rifle mags, and cci BR-4's. I was not able to load anymore rounds to shoot today but did shoot some factory Fed. 39's. I was shocked. This ammo has always shot very well for me except today. I feel like there may be an issue with the scope and here's why.

About 2 months ago I was shooting and left the gun sitting on the bench supported by the Harris bi-pod and someone knocked it over. I had just finished shooting a sub .5 inch 5 shot group. I took my next shot and it was about 10 in to the right. Long story short I had the stock glass bedded, re mounted the scope and re zeroed. I then started on reloading for it which brings us to now. It was just about a month ago when I re sighted the gun with another sub .5 inch group. Since then all I have used the gun for is test handloads, it's always in the safe or in a hard padded case being transported. Today My first two shots where about 6 inches to the left. I checked the action screws and scope mounts, all where tight. Then I cleaned the barrel and shot two more. Same thing, way left. So now I'm thinking maybe the scope got messed up when the gun was knocked over. What do you think?
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

Its possible you have a scope problem.
You could try another scope to see.
Just use factory ammo for testing until you get the accuracy issue sorted then work on your reloads again.
bigborefan

Post by bigborefan »

I contacted Bushnell, they told me to send it in so they could look at it. I'll keep yall updated.