Question about the new 1st edition Berger Manual??

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Question about the new 1st edition Berger Manual??

Post by bang bang »

I just received the new Berger reloading manual, man is it a thick book! My question is on load data for my favorite load, 35gr Berger with IMR 8208 powder. Hodgdon has a max load of 28.2 grains. Berger has a max load of 26.3 grains. For a 20 cal that is a big difference I think. My go to load for my Savage Predator and my DPMS is 28.1 grains, that's .1 under max. Neither gun showers pressure signs and both shoot generally .5 MOA. The difference in advertised velocity is HODGDEN- 24" bbl= 3961 fps. Berger- 26" bbl= 3791 fps. at max load. I am not to concerned with my load as it shows no pressure signs in rather gun. With I had a chrono. It would be nice to know how fast they are going. Anyway, just was wondering what your thoughts are on why such a big difference between the to. Happy shooting!
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Re: Question about the new 1st edition Berger Manual??

Post by Darkker »

Let me preface this by saying, I know... We all read "signs"..

Unless you buy a Pressure Trace, you have no clue if your loads are high pressure or not. Cartridge Brass spec for Tensile strength is 70,000 PSI. So Until you reach that level, you wouldn't see undue stretching, etc. Reading brass and primers is as reliable as.... Well it is not very accurate anyway. Much better is reading your chronograph that you need to buy.

The difference is lot variations. Smokeless is built to try and fit a range. If it doesn't It is sold to blenders, who, well, blend and resell when it does fit the range. Enter Hodgdon. Extruded powders tend to be more problematic and have smaller batch sizes. Start low and work up, then what is max is irrelevant.
YOUR gun could have a long throat or various other factors that show lower pressure signs with normal loadings.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
jo191145

Re: Question about the new 1st edition Berger Manual??

Post by jo191145 »

Walt is and always has been a very conservative man. Consult various reloading manuals then use your best judgement.
Years ago I used some of Walts data in the 204 on powders not listed in any other manual. Severe blow by until I reached mid level on the data.
Like Darkker said. Your max is your max.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .