What lands setting is best???

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
jam1e
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ American s/c

What lands setting is best???

Post by jam1e »

I'm trying to get my head around lands and what is best, Just off the lands or just touching the lands?
My lee "modern reloading" manual (2nd edition) states a maximum c.o.a.l of 2.260 yet when i tested the distance to the lands using the slight friction method with the bullet in the case, the c.o.a.l to the lands was 2.416. Why does the Lee manual come up so short if it's better for the bullet to be touching, or just a thou or so off the lands??
Just to point out that i'm new to reloading and i'm loading for a CZ 527 American, chambered in .204 Ruger.
Cheers
Jamie
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: What lands setting is best???

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jamie: As you are new to the handloading game, I'd strongly suggest forgetting about 'loading to the lands' for now, and just load your rounds to the standard SAAMI overall cartridge length of 2.260". Chances are, your rifle will shoot just fine, feed from the magazine as designed, and will be reliable with any standard book load.

Later when you've been at it for a few years, custom cut chambering reamers, minimum freebore, leade angle, shoulder angle and all the other techo stuff will all make sense, and with a good background of 'loading by the book', you'll be a safe and experienced handloader....not just a 'reloader'.

The 204 Ruger is an animal all to itself, in that the "usual" jump (or not) to the lands is far greater than most cartridges, including most high intensity varmint cartridges. As designed, it shoots quite well with this 'jump' to the lands as you'll soon see. Just do all you can in the way of case prep, use a popular powder and bullet known to perform in the 204, and load to factory spec, at least for now. JME :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Rick, I saw this post earlier and was hoping you would jump in. Many of us here could have answered the question. However, your choice of words tends to head off potential misinterpretations!

Little chilly down your way this morning!? We were 21* w/freezing fog, LOL.

Okay, I apologize, back on topic! The 204R will be quite happy making a bit of a jump to the lands. Enjoy that new rig and let us know how you make out with your loads :) .
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I load mine per recommended MAX overall length (plenty of jump) in all of my 204's and with the right science and all, they're all tack-drivers.
jam1e
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ American s/c

Post by jam1e »

Cheers fellas!
Especially Rick.
To be honest i was kind of glad to get the responses i had. I was starting to get bogged down with too much of the technical side of things and not just enjoying the basic science of reloading and enjoying trying out various loads.
At the moment i'm on my first lot of kit. That being, Sierra .32 grain blitzking heads, Hogdons BL C 2 powder, Magtech primers and Hornady brass. I do have a bag of 100 new Winchester brass. But at the moment i've been reloading the 80 or so Hornady cases i have from buying the made-up rounds.
My first 100 rounds were sighting in my scope and just abit of fun with targets and rocks getting used to the gun.
My first serious attempts with my reloaded groups are 2". I used 29 grains powder, but think the loads were not consistant as had trouble sortin my lee scales. The c.o.a.l was 2.260. I was abit disappointed really, as my best groups are from factory ammo was with Remington 32 gn Accutip-v, which was .6" at 100 yards. I'm going to try and copy the Rem Accutip-v's as much as possible. I'm told Rem won't give there load data but use Hornady v-max heads. That sound right fellas??
However, as you say i'm only starting out so plenty of time to "hone" my reloading skills, within the limits set by my Lee Modern Reloading data.
Thanks
Jamie