Reloading basics

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
mpstan
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet

Reloading basics

Post by mpstan »

OK, my Remington 700 SPS Varmint 26" is on its way and I'm trying to plan how to test loads for it. I have a few basic questions:

I thought I'd try some 30 grain and some 39 grain factory ammo to see what my rifle likes....... Is it a total guessing game predicting which my rifle would prefer?

Do you think I might gain accuracy if I use bushing dependant dies compared to the cheaper dies that don't? Do most 204 Ruger reloaders just resize the neck? Are Redding and Forster of similar quality in your opinion?

For cleaning, do you use a bore rod with a jag and patch with a bore guide? I've used Boretech Eliminator with my other rifles; any bad experiences with this product?

Would you give me your top three powder selections for either a 30 or 39g bullet? I don't think I want to try them all at once. I have:

N133
N135
N530
XBR8208
Varget
TAC
Xterminator

I'm thinking Xterminator, XBR8208, and N133, 3 or 4 bullets per load......

When you reload are you able to seat out near the lands or do you just use standard OALs?

Thanks for the help
battlefordguy
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Contender, 24 SS fluted MGM, boyds laminated thumhole

Reloading basics

Post by battlefordguy »

Congrats on the new purchase.
I prefer Tac, exterminator & 8208 as powders, I find the 8208 slightly faster.
Bullets could depend on your barrel twist, for a 1 in 11 I like to start with at least a 35 gn or 39 gn bullet.
Speeds bullet kings are very accurate and constant for a heavily bullet or any of the Bergers from 35 gns and up

Try a few and shoots lots and see what works for you
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mpstan

Re: Reloading basics

Post by mpstan »

I'm pretty sure I have a 12 twist barrel so I'll have to see.

Thank you for the help sir
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I switched to XBR 8208 for all 204 loads in three guns(all 1:12) 32gr Varmageddon and 39 SBKs.Clean as you suggest.I use a forster neck bushing die + a Redding body die when needed.Have fun.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

My 700 SPS in 204 likes the 39 gr Sierra BKs the best and I have had my best luck with CFE223 powder. I neck size and as for OAL you'll have to play around a bit. My rifle prefers 2.306".
mpstan

Post by mpstan »

Joe O wrote:I switched to XBR 8208 for all 204 loads in three guns(all 1:12) 32gr Varmageddon and 39 SBKs.Clean as you suggest.I use a forster neck bushing die + a Redding body die when needed.Have fun.

Joe do you find that the standard 3 bushings in that set cover most of your needs for your neck sizing die? thanks
jam1e
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ American s/c

Post by jam1e »

Hi,
I'm a UK newbie.
For what it's worth, I find 3 bushings are adequote. I have one for neck sizing and decapping, one for full length resizing and decapping, and the last one for seating the bullets.
Once i'd set the 3 dies up in the bushings and tightened the die collets it takes seconds to remove whatever die i'm using and really speeds things up!
Cheers
Jamie