CRT Tool Review

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

CRT Tool Review

Post by tt35 »

I'd like to give an unsolicited review of some tools from Custom Reloading Tools (CRT). I've been trying several products manufactured by CRT including a case-specific loading block, a range tray and a powder funnel with caliber-specific interchangeable neck.

If you appreciate fine maching and tools and haven't had the opportunity to use use CRT's products, you owe it to yourself to try them. The first thing you will notice about the loading block and range tray are their weight. They have a heft to them that says "Quality" as soon as you pick them up. The holes in each are sized perfectly for .204 cases. There is no chance of a case tipping while inserted into these trays.

The same quality is evident in the CRT powder funnel and interchangeable necks. The neck for the .204 cases fits perfectly over the case. Powder just can't leak between the funnel and the case neck. And, powder flows through this funnel with zero cling and zero resisitance. I swirl my powder charges for maximum consistency (an M.L. McPherson technique) and the powder swirls perfectly by just a pouring of the powder into the outer part of the funnel.

It isn't necessary to tip the case and funnel to get a good swirl of the powder as I have to do with my Saturn and old RCBS plastic funnels. The interchangeable, caliber-specific funnel necks are close enough tolerance that they actually stick a little over the necks of my .204 cases but I much prefer holding the case lightly as I remove the funnel to having powder escape and have to recharge the case. I immediately seat my bullets after charging while the RCBS Chargemaster Combo weighs the next charge so it's not an issue for me anyway.

The range tray is just another really nice piece of kit when you are working up loads at the range or shooting colony varmints from a bench. There are 20 cartridge holes and an open tray to place your fired rounds into as you shoot.

In conclusion, these tools aren't inexpensive but if you appreciate good machining and fit and finish, you will appreciate CRT tools. Precision reloads require precision tools and these CRT tools are as precise as I've seen. I highly recommend them to the discriminating reloader. You won't be disappointed.

Tim Titus
No Off Season
Predator and Varmint Gear and Hunts
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Re: CRT Tool Review

Post by 204cat »

thank you for the report. really like that reloading tray.
Snakeshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by Snakeshooter »

Very interesting report. I just ordered the funnel and reloading tray and a few other things. My comments are also unsolicited but I feel compelled to share my feelings with some of the other readers who may not be familiar dealing with Brad at CRT. I am new to the forum and I have reluctantly restrained myself from posting replies for fear of asking a foolish question(s). However, I found with Brad that he is a very patient, knowledgable and helpful individual who excels at customer service and provided me innumerable tips on reloading for the .204 Ruger. I am not new to reloading, however, most of my reloading was done during the '70's after I got out of the Army so I am pretty ignorant to modern day reloading for accuracy. During those days I used a Ruger M77V in .220 Swift for hunting red fox in North Dakota. Recently, I struggled making a decision between a .22-250 or a .204 Ruger for varmint hunting in the Arizona desert. I decided to purchase a Tikka T-3 Hunter (LH) in .204 Ruger caliber so I have a particular interest in this forum. Brad spent an inordinate amount of time advising me about proper reloading equipment which I appreciate and will remain loyal to him for future reloading needs. I look forward to learning alot on this forum, especially about reloading for the 204 Ruger using a Tikka factory rifle. Thanks again, Brad!
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

BEST darn FUNNEL EVER!! Yes another unsolicited comment on Brad's stuff. 40+ years reloading, never seen a funnel this GOOD :D
Steve
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

btlbrn wrote:BEST darn FUNNEL EVER!! Yes another unsolicited comment on Brad's stuff. 40+ years reloading, never seen a funnel this GOOD :D
Steve
It's hard to imagine that something as simple as a funnel can actually function so much nicer than others 'till you try it. I'm seriously impressed with how nice my Benchmark flows through it and the way it stays on the case mouth.
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?