40 grain bullet bc.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

40 grain bullet bc.

Post by sakofan »

I was looking at 4 bullets for the 204,
the sierra 39 bc.287
the hornady 40vmax. bc.275
the nosler 40bt. bc.239
and the berger 40. bc.225
On paper the sierra should drop and drift less at longer ranges than the others but has anyone ever tested this in the field.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Re: 40 grain bullet bc.

Post by 247sniper »

The manufactures velocitys are not accurate anyway, to some degree. I use the 39SBK and when checking multiple velocities at different ranges 200,300 and 500 yards the 39 SBK have a usable and accurate BC of .251 when shooting through multiple velocity boundarys with my rifle.

I would assume that the other bullets would do a similar sort of thing.

Steve.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

I'd start with what shoots best,TBH. The differences hey make will still = dead rabbit anyway ! :D

Steve.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

247sniper wrote:I'd start with what shoots best,TBH. The differences hey make will still = dead rabbit anyway ! :D

Steve.
I am hoping to try my 204 at 300 yard competition.
The range can be a bit windy at times so I was wondering if anyone found one bullet better in these conditions.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Do a search for "Sean Kennedy", or his "Shooter" app.
That program is in connection with Brain Litz's G7 drag testings. Most manu's (Not Sierra) use a general BC. But there is no one BC. BC changes with speed.
In testing that I have read by litz, and work published in Varmint Hunter, Nosler is probably the worst offender for poorly stated BC's, in SOME bullets. Hornady would be a second.
Sierra is generally consistently off(comparing G7, VS. G1 model), but very consistently off on one side only. The others swing both sides of incorrect.

All that said, Unless you are talking BIG BIG Columbia Basin wind. It really won't be an issue at that close of a distance.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.